1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little-known scary movies you haven't seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Saw this on Yahoo.
    A list of about eight lesser-known horror movies.
    I have heard about of half of them (The Descent, Something Wicked ..., Pan's Labyrinth, Let the Right One In)
    I passed on Pan's Labyrinth because a movie has to really, really good for me to sit through subtitles. And I didn't think this one was going to pass muster.
    I really like Something Wicked .. And the Descent was pretty good as well.
    I was intrigued by the Swedish vampire movie. I heard it's very good. And didn't they make an American version recently?

How many of these have you seen?
    Thoughts? Recommendations?

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/scariest-movies-haven-t-seen-yet-202328115.html?page=all

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I love "Let the Right One in" and find it superior in all ways - except for one unfortunately poor effects sequence (cats) - to "Let Me In." I've watched it so many times that I have even watched it with the subtitles turned off just so I could get the cadences of the actors in their native language.

I would like to see a crossover movie with Eli and Lisbeth Salander, the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Not sure that I would have included "Something Wicked This Way Comes" on a list of scary movies, but I saw it hen it first came out in the theater and haven't seen it since. It was intense at times, yes.

"The Descent" turns up on cable now and again. I'll have to check it out.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Pan's Labrynth' is just a fantastic movie, and so is 'Let the Right One In.'
    They are so good I don't think of either as a horror movie.

It's been a long time since I've seen 'Something Wicked,' but I don't recall it being very good.

I'd add 'Ginger Snaps' to the list.

4. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Alice, Sweet Alice, an atmospheric slasher flick from the '70s dripping with Catholic self-loathing.

Not many horror films have a deranged killer running around in a canary yellow raincoat and opaque grinning mask.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Descent kicked my ass. Awesome, awesome flick. Loved "Let the Right One In" and "Pan's Labyrnith."

No Cannibal Holocaust? I guess they're not promoting video nasties. Ha.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Scarecrow Slayer

Only because my friends worked on the set.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pan's Labyrinth is great. Not really all that scary, though.

The Descent is scary. Very good movie.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Used to be a yogurt place in the local mall. Assistant manger was a lady named Ginger Snapp. She showed me her drivers license to prove it. That's all I've got.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Very big fan of The Descent. Still the scariest movie I've seen in a long while. Don't think I've seen anything scarier since it came out.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

There is a version with the proper subtitles. Seems like the Netflix version we got was not it, though.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Does 'The Descent' count as little known?
    I saw it in the theater. Really enjoyed it.

We just recently rented 'The Descent 2.' not as good as the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted