1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Help Please Re: Texas High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dirk Legume, Aug 27, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if the game's at mesquite hanby, you're in for a treat in the press box. very nice high school set-up. mesquite memorial is actually newer (and bigger at 20,000-plus) but hanby was redone a few years ago and is quite nice, especially having elevators for a gimp like myself.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Odessa Permians, Southlake Carrolls and Highland Parks get all the attention when it comes to Texas high school football, and people nationally get a skewed view of all the pageantry and how much adoration the teams and players receive.

But schools like Ferris are more typical of the majority of the 1,200-plus teams in the state. They are a 3A school, which is middling-size, and they don't have a lot of winning tradition (only two bi-district playoff victories in school history, the last in 2000). Ferris may be pretty good this year (I don't know, I'd have to consult my Texas Football) but typically schools of this caliber are lucky if they have one Divsion II signing a year.

Getting to play a California school will be a thrill of a lifetime for those guys. I covered one of those California-Texas smaller-school games three years ago and it was a blast.

3. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I think it will be quite an experience for the Cali kids too. Of course all they know about Texas high school football comes from Friday Night Lights.

I will not be making the trip. No radio station in our area does high school play by play on a regular basis. There was one very brief discussion about whether we wanted to sponsor the team and make the trip and we figured it would open a huge can of worms with the other schools in our listening area.

High school parents being so calm and laid back and all ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted