1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little exchange between Staples, Litke

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 3, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Nothing earth-shaking, this came across my Twitter feed this evening. Apparently, Andy Staples of SI and Jim Litke of AP had a little disagreement about story selection and quality of stories from the NCAA final.

http://twitter.com/#!/Andy_Staples

http://twitter.com/#!/JimLitke

It caught my attention mostly because of this little shot:

Jim Litke ‏ @JimLitke Close
    @Andy_Staples Let's talk lazy. A sycophantic profile of Davis based on stat sheet? Really? Why? Didn't want to get too far from the buffet?

Anyway, not a major deal, but caught my attention.

2. doodah2

doodah2 Guest

Do you have link to the profile Staples is referring to?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

4. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Wonder what would set Litke off like that. He's tweeted twice during the past year.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Is that really Litke? Three tweets since last April and the two most recent are shots at other writers.

Very odd.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I'd guess it was Staples' tweet regarding a Jason Lisk article that ripped Litke:

<i>The people who lazily embraced the anti one-and-done narrative I warned about Sunday? @JasonLisk crushed one here.</i>

The article: http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/04/03/jim-litke-lives-in-a-college-basketball-fairy-tale-that-was-ruined-when-kentuckys-future-pros-won-the-title/

A quote from the article: <i>"Jim Litke must live in a world where, until the clock struck almost midnight last night and Calipari turned the orange basketball into his own morally decayed carriage, college athletic championships at the highest level were not about money, or rosters full of NBA players, or mercenary coaches moving on for the quickest buck."</i>

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

FWIW, I wasn't real enamored with the hand-wringing being done over Kentucky and Cal. I'm inclined not to agree with Litke's article. But I wouldn't call his column lazy. It's a point of view. I don't know that a point of view can be defined as lazy.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sure it can, if there's no explanation or defense of said point of view.

Whitlock proves it all the time.

9. doodah2

doodah2 Guest

There's obvious defense. The fact that Cal got two schools vacated is a pretty good argument to suggest he's corrupt.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I just don't get all the fuss over ... Jim Litke? Yes, he's a columnist with one of the world's dominant wire services, but I've always found his columns so vanilla to blah.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and she hits a home run. quality point.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jim Litke calling Andy Staples lazy is like Gary Sheffield calling Arthur Fonzarelli tense. (Just for you, MisterCreosote.)

Draft saved Draft deleted