1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Little Boy makes a lot of noise and changes our society

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Was Russia in at all prepared for a massive naval operation against the home islands? They didn't have the experience we did. Did they even have a navy capable of the scale needed? Not just capital ships, but landing craft, support ships? Did they have any carriers?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think you fail to take into consideration the influence of Yakutsk and Greenland.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it would have been a pleasant day to recall if everything were rosy now?

4. boots

boots New Member

As far as I know, there are eight countries that have nuclear capabilities – China, Great Britain, France, India, Israel, Pakistan, Russia, and the United States. Two countries, North Korea and South Africa, know how to make them but have/or are abandoning their nuclear weapons programs.
    India, Israel, and Pakistan having nuclear capababilities illustrates my point of third-world countries buying the second world and putting a firm down payment on the first world.
    There are more than 31,000 nuclear weapons stockpiled in the world.

5. statrat

statrat Member

Pilot:
    No they did not. But I believe they were working to rebuild their navy as well as their paratroop corps. They also a strong motive for revenge, after being badly beaten by the Japanese in the Sino-Russian war in the early 1900s.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I once knew a woman named Enola.
    Always wanted to ask if her middle name was Gay.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boots, you can not buy it all you want, it's still revisionism. The thought that Japan was ready to surrender simply isn't accurate. Read first-hand accounts of people from that era and you'll see otherwise. Hell, read the accounts of people who were grade-school students and they'll tell you they were being taught, and believed, that they'd have to fight in invading Americans hand to hand.

8. boots

boots New Member

I have. I also know propoganda and like any story, there are two sides and then there is the truth.
    Our government is big on propoganda. Always has been. History is just that, HIS STORY.
    That being said, I think the dropping of both bombs was wrong.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So one bomb would have been OK but two bombs was wrong?

Justification for that has been that we needed to prove it wasn't a one-and-done fluke.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In other words, we had to nuke Japan in order to save it.

11. boots

boots New Member

No, we nuked them because at the time, we were a racist society. We didn't drop it on Germany or anywhere else.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Considering the war in Europe was over by then, I would be surprised if we had dropped it on Germany.

Victory in Europe Day: May 8, 1945

Hiroshima bombing: August 6 and 9, 1945

Victory in Japan day: August 15, 1945

If you add in the effect any bomb on Berlin would have had on neighbouring, Allied countries, say nothing of the troops on the ground, then even thinking about doing it seems a little absurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted