1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listening to the coach?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Apr 18, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

How often do you take advantage of your writing coach?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What's a writing coach? Seriously, how many small papers have writing coaches? Wouldn't that just be your editor?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There ain't nobody in our organization who could teach me a damn thing about writing (or any other aspect of journalism). It'd be like Carrot Top lecturing Einstein on how to factor basic equations.

5. boots

boots New Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess that means you won a Pulitzer two days ago and even if you did, it doesn't hurt to listen to constructive criticism.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with boots. In your original post, Starman, may I suggest that you have Mr. Carrot Top lecturing Einstein on figuring square roots.

Square roots are just funny. I don't know why.

Carry on.

7. Starman

It's not so much that I'm a genius; it's that the higher-ups at our joint are uniformly imbeciles.

I do what they say because they're signing the checks, but between the lot of them they don't have the journalistic expertise of a tree stump.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've seen some pretty hard journalistic tree stumps.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sexually?

10. Starman

In my journalistic career, among the EEs and esteemed publishers for whom I've worked, I count three tree stumps, a box of rocks, two bags of bent hammers, a rusty shovel, a cast-iron anvil and a couple of guys who knew what they were doing. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted