1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Listening to MLB games online

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Is it possible to listen to MLB games online, or are there licensing restrictions that make that impossible? I tried to listen to the local team's flagship station online, and I don't get the game, even though the game is on right now. I don't have access to a radio or tv right now, so I was hoping I could listen online.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it's $19.95 for every game the whole season on MLB.com. At least I know that's the price for the app. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If you have an iPhone, download the MLB At-Bat app. They should be offering it at a discounted rate now or in a few days.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

An incredibly good deal. You have a choice of home or visiting team radio broadcast (or Espanol when available) and you can listen to it after the fact if you want to. Best $20 you'll spend if you buy it in March (they start with ST games).

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

If you happen to be in a CBSSports.com fantasy league it is free to league members.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

MLB At-Bat is fantastic.

Short of that, look for an affiliate list of the team you want to listen to, and find their live streams if they have one. Often you'll find one or two that are lax in blocking the broadcast.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That's what I was trying to do, which is what tipped me off that they're blocked online. I don't get that - you can hear it if you have the radio nearby, but not the same station in the same town via its live stream? Whatever. ESPN app updates for free...

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Word. Any hardcore baseball fan needs this, at least. I also like having Sirius/XM so I can listen to any game in the car.

Draft saved Draft deleted