1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

List of gay marriage states may include...Iowa?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Aug 30, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Granted, it hasn't gotten to the state Supreme Court yet, but...interesting. Think this might be a talking point starting, oh, say, tomorrow on the campaign trail?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/30/iowa.samesexmarriage/index.html

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Yeah, buddy! Time to get the hell out of the dark ages with this one. Have a few friends who were pushing hard and were waiting to hear the ruling. The campaign trail has nothing what will take place at the Capitol in January in the next legislative session: a full-fledge knockout drag-out Sunday School Pic-a-nic fight. This is going to be a fun place to be this weekend.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070830/NEWS/70830044/1001&lead=1

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Well, that sucks. I was going to try and use the Brad Pitt foot-drag of "I won't get married until everyone can." Guess I'm running out of excuses.

Truth be told, good for my new home state/flyover country.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It's been brewing for a few years over this topic. A lot of credit goes to the organizations and those in the gay community who kept working for something to go their way. All it took was a gay couple from western Iowa (bastion of conservatism), of all places, to get this into a courtroom. I'm more suprised that a Des Moines judge struck the ban down, considering Polk is the second most liberal county in the state, behind Johnson County (Iowa City), and their judges are more adept in keeping that status quo on gay/lesbian rights.

See, we're not that hick or ig'nant in this flyover state. Party at The Garden and Blazing Saddles in the (DSM) East Village. Free beer for all. Big night for them.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Good for the judge in Iowa.

A referendum on the gay marriage ban barely survived in South Dakota last election cycle.

The fight on this is over and done. Gay people are going to be able to get married. People might as well start getting used to it.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Good for Iowa, glad to see something like that could happen there.

7. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Nice to see a judge overturn something Iowans apparently want.

And nice to see Iowa getting a lot of backhanded compliments. I'd rather live there than anyplace on the eastern seaboard.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, if people aren't like you, you hate them?

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why does it matter what the majority want? If it is a case of civil rights, why should the majority be allowed to quash the minority?

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Good for my home state. Welcome to the 21st century, Hawkeye state.

11. IU90

IU90 Member

Not as odd as you'd think. Iowa's got a surprisingly strong liberal streak that seperates it from fellow cornhusking neighbor states like Neb, Kans, Ind etc. They go blue in most national elections and have elected significantly more Ds than Rs over the years.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This could be a real turning point in gay rights.

Good for Iowa.

Draft saved Draft deleted