1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lisa Olson quits New York Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thirsty, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Haven't been on here a lot lately the last day or two, but had to weigh in on this one. I don't know Lisa well at all, but I know she checks in here. She's incredibly smart and a great columnist. She recently shared some of the story behind a column she had written, and without tooting her own horn or even saying she had done anything special, I realized from the way she told it that she hadn't "settled" for what everyone else had as an early deadline was approaching, but instead gunned to dig something better out. I know this is what good columnists are SUPPOSED to do, but how many actually do settle and call it a night with the column that is "good enough?" She ended up pushing a deadline to get the killer column that 99 percent of her competition couldn't have pulled off--even with time and no deadline pressure. She wouldn't have characterized it that way, but I could tell there had to have been something special behind the column, and I was blown away by the extra effort and how seemlessly she pulled it off. She's a really nice person, smart as hell, doesn't cut corners and is a damned good writer. Those aren't bad qualities given what she does. I hope she ends up in her dream job soon.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Don't know Lisa on a personal level, but I've long considered her the best sports columnist in New York (and it was never even close). So I'm sure she'll do fine and I'm sure we'll find out why she left soon enough.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Dumbshit Jets beat aside.... one of the best sportswriters I have ever read.

Her Shirley Babashoff piece for Palm Beach in 2004 was entrancing.

She also was part of an incredible staff Fred Turner had in Fort Lauderdale in the mid-1990s.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lisa is one of the best, personally and professionally.

So is Karen, too, though I didn't read her Jets stuff so I have no dog in that right.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

I have worked with Lisa and I think she would be gratified to see this discussion on a personal level. She's gotten hateful email and regular mail from people so vile it would make you vomit. But seeing so many good wishes in a forum like this would give her heart. Even the discussion about whether she was fairly criticized by a colleague like Gola was above board and candid.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Never made the acquaintance, but she did excellent work. She'll be difficult to replace.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I edited that post and I'll apologize again. That information was wrong and I shouldn't have posted a link from wikipedia.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. With all the excellent women sports editors, writers, columnists, designers, etc., in the business, I find it hard to believe that sports editors at big papers could be practicing 1950s views towards women.

But then, I've been surprised before.

9. Mediator

Mediator Member

Yes hard to believe. But The Big Lead just counted all the minorities and women hired by Yahoo, Sportsline and Fox sports online, and of 107 hires to fill reporting jobs, just five have been women.

thebiglead.com/?p=4194

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

the big lead can count?

11. Mediator

Mediator Member

Ace! I almost snorted my grape juice.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Grape drink. [/Dave Chappelle]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.