1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lions hire Jim Schwartz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Jan 15, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope the Lions draft another wide receiver. That'll make my day.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I think the Lions made the right hire here... something about this Schwartz guy I like and I was hoping the Browns made a stronger push for him.

If the Lions can somehow be worth something in a few years, Calvin Johnson will be an superstar. There is not a more talented wide receiver in the league, and that's after playing on a 0-16 team. He is for real.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

He's already a superstar. Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't say enough about how incredible he was this past season on one of the worst teams ever assembled. If the Lions ever become even mediocre on offense, he'll be giving me nightmares twice a year for another decade.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They need to dangle every single one of the Tampa-2 guys in front of the Bears, see how many of them Associate Head Coach Marinelli snaps up.

:D :D :D :D

Every single player over 30, gone, gone, gone (Hanson/Harris the lone exceptions). Culpepper/Kitna, especially. All the leftover smurfs from the Mike Martz bizarro world offense, hasta la vista.

Problem is, the guy running the roster is Mayhew, who was standing dutifully at Millen's side when he acquired all these guys, and either went along with it, or if he didn't, never raised any objections strenuous enough for anyone to take seriously.

The next big litmus test will be the staff: will Schwartz be pressured to keep any of the 15 of the Marinelli staff members still officially on duty, or will he be pressured to bring in any of the Mayhew buddy-boys as his DC and key defensive coaches?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

STFU! :D

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

first thing I thought of ...

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Is there a right year to go 0-16?

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No.

But a Peyton Manning or John Elway-type QB, rare as they are, wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

It was pretty obvious I said that in the context of the team drafting No. 1. Things would set up a lot nicer if, as Trey said, there was a franchise-type player available with which to build around. You go 0-16, you should want more than a left tackle.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Lions were 7-9 last year. No parade. Been there, done that. A lot.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I think the bar's been significantly lowered. If Jim Schwartz goes 7-9 next year, organizations will be inventing Coach of the Year awards to give the guy.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Would be, yes. But there's still never a right time to go 0-16.

Draft saved Draft deleted