1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lions hire Jim Schwartz

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I guess Chargers Def. Coordinator Ron Rivera didn't interview well?

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Wish this guy good luck because he is going to need it. Aside from Millen the same cast and crew are running that ship so I don't feel confident they will ever turn it around.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

may the schwartz be with the lions.....

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

While they completely botched the GM hire, I'd be quite happy with Schwartz as coach if I were a Lions fan.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The one big upside is that Schwartz is NOT a former teammate/buddy-pal of Millen protege Martin Mayhew, the new GM, unlike 3-4 of the other candidates, which made it appear as if the coaching job would be doled out on the same incestuous/nepotistic basis through which Rod Marinelli filled his staff.

Schwartz does appear to have a pretty good rep, and the Titans have built things the right way: toughen up the lines, get the defense fixed up, build an efficient/non-self-destructive offense, and you should be good.

Now, they need to be beating the drums on the phones every day between now and draft day to get rid of that No. 1 pick, no matter how they have to do it, as long as they pick up another draft choice or two out of the deal.

They need to get rid of about 35 of 53 players on the roster -- it would be about 50, but guaranteed deals and salary-cap limits put a cap of about 35 on how many they can get rid of. Miami got rid of 29 of 53 over the last off-season.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Who on the Lions has a guaranteed deal?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Easier said than done. There's not a No. 1 guy that any team is coveting, and, if the Lions seem to anxious to get rid of the pick, they won't get shit for it. While they are desperate, they have to somehow come off as if they're not. But even if they play their cards right, I just don't see any player worth trading extra high picks for. There are no franchise QBs or projected Top 5 RBs, and no one is trading up for an offensive tackle. I think the Lions picked the wrong year to go 0-16. I agree they need to stockpile as many picks as possible, but they may have to do it by moving down every chance they get after the first round and collecting as many second-, third- and fourth-rounders as they can.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

What is it about Stafford that's getting people excited? I just don't see it for some reason. I saw it with Matt Ryan. I kinda saw it with Joe Flacco. Then again, I also thought I saw it in Quincy Carter and Glenn Foley, so there ya go.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

what on earth did you see in quincy carter?

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's all a crapshoot. Especially at QB.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well put Starman, I only see about 8 players worth keeping

Calvin Johnson, Kevin Smith, Ernie Simms, Nick Harris, Jason Hanson, Gosder Cherilus, Jordan Dizon, and Dan Orlovsky as the QB for the time being. He doesn't have alot of turnovers and will have to do for now.

I'd keep Stanton but too many injuries. I'd part ways with all the tampa 2 guys, get rid of the bum wideouts. I would punch Jeff Backus in the back of both knees while wearing brass knuckles and tell the rest of the shitty lineman to get out of town. I'd give Dominic Raoila the finger like he did to the fans and tell Culpepper to lose some weight. Maybe he has a future in nutra system commercials.

Drew Henson could go back to baseball, Rudi Johnson can go buy some new underwear, Aveion Caseon could be cut for the umpteenth time, this time for good and all the mediocre tight ends can go elsewhere. Am I missing anyone? Paris Lennon maybe? I'm indifferent on him. But all the rest of the corners and backers need to go same with the special teams guys. Nothing special about the blocking on the returns this year. Did we ever get past the 50?

Draft saved Draft deleted