1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lions fire Marinelli, son-in-law, keep Mayhew and Lewand

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yet they passed on Staubach, alienating my dad as a fan.

2. Simon_Cowbell

It will be done. Plenty of cap space.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What is the deal with Brady? A few months ago all we heard about were infections and more injuries. Then I heard it was all false. Now ESPN said he has scar-tissue build-up. Can I trust ESPN?

Is Brady even hurt? They said he was working out in the Patriot's weight-room a few weeks ago. When you tear an ACL, you aren't working out for atleast a month or two. But with multiple surgeries and scar-tissue build-up how was he working out? Was that misinformation too?

4. Simon_Cowbell

I think he is able to move, Joe Sixpack style, but perhaps not Joe Montana style.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Christ, Lion fans should be lighting shit on fire like it's Devils Night right now. There is no way you can keep anybody on the football side of that operation. Everybody has to go.

Granted, you have to keep a few folks on staff for the transition, then let the new GM/Football Operations Guy can them once he takes over, but it makes no sense to PROMOTE anybody who was hired by Matt Millen. And if you're firing Marinelli, you have to release the whole coaching staff too.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Didn't you say the same thing last year about Miami and Atlanta? They were both messes just as big as Detroit.

7. Simon_Cowbell

The Dolphins?

Are you fucking crazy?

And, the Falcons won four games in 2007.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Lions problem is that they have no talent on defense. Give them a decent o-line and a Pennington-type QB and the offense would be fine. Not great, but fine. Play this mental game: take any defense in the league and make yourself the GM. You can trade one of your defensive starters for one of Detroit's starter at the same position. Other than maybe Ernie Sims, how many Lions guys would you want if you have to give up your starter? Even teams like the Fins and Falcons had talented defensive players (John Abraham, Keith Brookings, Jason Ferguson, etc.)

If I am the Detroit GM, I pray every day that a QB-needy team falls in love with Bradford or Stafford and is willing to trade up to get him. And I keep trading down and stockpiling picks and use the picks to build up the offensive and defensive lines. I don't think you trade Calvin Johnson. He is insanely talented and still very young. Given an offensive line and a decent QB, he is going to tear the league up. You don't trade away the only difference maker you have unless someone really offers you the Herschel Walker package.

9. Simon_Cowbell

agreed CJ would require double what they got for Williams.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jerry Gray is getting the Rooney Rule Interview. Spagnulo is also coming in according to Schefter.

BTW, Gray is a great assistant, but he's not getting a HC job this year.

11. Simon_Cowbell

That will exactly be a trend this year after the success of Sparano, Harbaugh, Smith, Singletary, Whisenhunt

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There's what, seven round, to the draft? If I'm not mistaken, the Lions will have 10 picks (their seven plus Dallas' three for Roy Williams. I'm still agog over Jones' stupidity. He gave a first, a third and a sixth for Roy Williams? It's like Steinbrenner trading Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps.). They can certainly begin to fill a lot of holes.

Draft saved Draft deleted