1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lions fire Marinelli, son-in-law, keep Mayhew and Lewand

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Dec 29, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The Lions canned Marinelli and his son-in-law.

Demoted Colletto to line coach and kept Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand.

Just another example of WCF doing half the job.

http://www.freep.com/article/20081229/SPORTS01/81229015

Mayhew and Lewand are incompetent prodigy's of Matt Millen. They could have gotten Parcells, or Pioli or the bum that stands next to the Grayhound station near Michigan Avenue to run the team.

The demote Colletto to o-line coach; where he belongs. Except how does a guy stay motivated after being demoted? They should have never promoted him in the first place. Recipe for disaster. They also fired the director of pro personnel. They should have fired every coach, director and manager including the front office types.

Another thing that pisses me off. Now that Marinelli is gone the Lions have a bunch of overpaid "TAMPA 2 Guys" on the roster, or guys who Marinelli brought in.

DeWayne White is making a ton of money and is hurt, Leigh Bodden was brought in all of those guys need to go.

Others who need to go: Backus, Raoila - get rid of the losing attitude.

Furry, McDonald, Kitna - All Martz guys, Kitna probably done anyhow.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Don't you have to clean house after putting up an 0-16?

Get rid of most of the terrible players and coaches, rebuild around Calvin Johnson.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Does Rob Parker get an assist on this firing?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They have 3 great players to build around. It shouldn't be too hard.

Calvin Johnon, Kevin Smith, Ernie Sims.

Use the draft to build an offensive/defensive line. Draft a QB, sign another in free agency, let the 4 current QBs go and hope to develop another receiver.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'd trade Calvin Johnson for an absolute boatload, too.

Teams that lose all their home games by a 22-point average ain't turning around any time soon.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If they trade Calvin Johnson, they won't even get 10,000 fans per game next year. But I wouldn't be opposed to it if they could get two are three first-rounders. How often does a sure-fire, young receiver come around? I bet teams like the Eagles, Dolphins, Ravens, Raiders, 49ers, and Rams would pay top dollar for a guy like that.

Anyhow, this is my 5 year prediction for the Lions.

2009: 3-13
    2010: 6-10
    2011: 5-11 - coach fired mid-season.
    2012: 7-9
    2013: 5-11

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

The way the economy is and the state of the Lions, 10,000 would be outstanding. I know one person who will buy a season ticket - Tim Allen.

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Worth considering, definitely.
    But he's 23 and put up 1,331 yards/12 touchdowns with awful QBs. Might be the most talented WR in football. They are probably bringing in a franchise QB to build around (money's on Cassel), so it's at least something in the cupboard for him. I'd pimp Johnson up, say you're not trading him, and don't unless an offer blows you away.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

As I put on the other thread. There is a good chance Brady is out all of next season, too.

Cassel ain't going anywhere.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last time the Lions brought in a "franchise QB", it was Scott Mitchell and we all know how THAT turned out...

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And every time they draft a QB it blows up. Harrington, Stanton, Orlovsky, Peete, Ware, McMahon. WOOT!

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They better franchise him then or else there's little chance of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted