1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LinkedIn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 17, 2012.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I love LinkedIn. Very convenient and resourceful. Whoever said it's like a resume is exactly right. You can upload clips and projects. It's like a one-stop shop for your "brand."

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Go to Edit Profile-->Add sections. Slide the bar down and choose Applications and go to Box.net files.

And those who said employers look at LinkedIn a lot are right. If you're serious about job hunting, you should be on there and your profile should be cleaned up.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The funny thing is, I was on LinkedIn way before I was on Facebook. I find it a lot more useful professionally. Thanks for all the tips!

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm using some tips I got from folks here to try to spruce up my profile. I'm not sure if I'm crossing the line between aggressively selling myself, which I hate doing, and being a braggart.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Bumping this with a story I just saw. I said 87 percent from my workshop, but that was last year. It's up to 93 percent of recruiters who are looking on LI now.

http://news.yahoo.com/heads-up--linkedin-users--93--of-recruiters-are-looking-at-you.html

Wow.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

This thread has inspired me to update my LI profile. Especially now that I am out of the media business and into the business world, the networking could prove invaluable.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm starting a new job Monday. I can't really say that LinkedIn helped me get it ... but under the "people who viewed your profile" tool, I noticed that at least one (and possibly two) of my superiors at new locale viewed my profile. As IJAG said, it's clear folks are using it ...

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've been applying around I've noticed someone from several of the places to which I've sent resumes has looked at my LinkedIn profile.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

An older article posted to a networking group I'm a part of on LinkedIn, but still relevant:

http://blog.simplyhired.com/2011/04/the-top-3-mistakes-job-seekers-make-on-linkedin.html

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My wife is an HR person. She just got recruited by a US company starting operations in Canada through LinkedIn, was not looking for another job. Everyone she knows in HR uses it.

I decided to get on LinkedIn and got an unsolicited e-mail from a recruiter for a job that I interviewed for and ultimately turned down.

I can't imagine not being on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted