1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LinkedIn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 17, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

is there any way to upload PDF's to LI? I wanted to put examples of pages I've designed but can't see where to do it

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's all well and true, but as I said, I don't view LinkedIn as a "social" site, so much as a professional networking site. It's a semantic difference, but I think it's an important distinction.

My LinkedIn use doesn't extend past job-related activity, so if an employer forms an opinion of me based on my profile, good or bad, I don't think they're being a dick. I think they're using the site as it's intended.

I know some people who update their LinkedIn status the way they would their Facebook page, so I may be overthinking it, but I think it looks unprofessional when they do. I always keep in mind that a potential employer might see my profile.

I'm pretty sure you can. On my LinkedIn homepage, I click on the tab that reads "Profile." There's a big blue box that asks if I want to include any work samples or projects with a yes and no button. I haven't clicked all the way through it, but I believe it is where you would upload PDFs.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hey Pern, what did you mean by RSS feeds on LinkedIn?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I never used it. The only reason I had a profile was that random people started sending me requests. Then I sent a few to others, but always on a whim when I had a few minutes to look around and see connections they recommended. Then I saw my girlfriend using it like crazy -- she is really good at relationships in general. She connected to a lot of people close to her, and through them, they started making introductions to people they were connected to who she wanted to get to. It has paid some VERY SERIOUS dividends for her.

My profile is only so full. And I don't have a ton of contacts. But I recently did a few things. I belong to a few groups, and one for where I went to school had a thread saying, "If you started a business, tell about it." I figured what the heck, and posted something brief with a link to some work samples, and that day I heard from half a dozen people I didn't know. Half of them wanted introductions to others from me (which I was happy to do for two of them), but you never know where those kinds of conversations might lead.

I also recently contacted a few people I don't talk to that often (who I had business ties to years ago) who might have ideas for reaching a new business segment I would love to expand into, and even though that kind of "marketing" has never been my forte, the interactions have been surprisingly good. A couple of people have already put me in touch with people more directly related to what I am trying to get to, and even though none of it might go anywhere, I am finding it to be an interesting resource.

I am usually dubious -- kind of cynical and try to be self-reliant -- the guy who never has to ask people for help! But face it, that isn't possible in this world anymore. I have had steady clients that fed me work for years who have had their budgets slashed and that means having to solicit work rather than waiting for it to come to me. It's difficult, but LinkedIn is a definite resource.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, you can't have a benign-neglect attitude about it. It'll get you looks, if you work it and have a background certain niches may be interested in.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ragu, your last graf sums up how I feel. Networking and bullshitting is not my forte; doing my job is. But I also realize it goes well beyond the quality of work you put together, too.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My advice. ... don't think of it as networking and bullshitting. I don't have much tolerance for bullshit.

Here is an example of something I have done. I will have an idea--an area of business related on the fringe to an area I am already in. Same kind of work, different kinds of clients. I want to expand and I need to get to specific types of people. I am not in that world. So it is intimidating. I am not going to cold call people. It is not very effective.

I will cull people I know (mostly not through LinkedIn, but this was about LinkedIn, and I have done this using LinkedIn a few times recently) who in their businesses deal with the people I want to get to. It made perfect sense in the case of one particular area, because some of the work I do has given me a Rolodex full of people that I know or have worked with. ... who, as part of their jobs, deal a lot with the type of person I want to be working with. (Their businesses are complimentary).

I know that was a bit vague, but hopefully it made sense. In any case, I then send some e-mails or pick up the phone, and ask the people I already know if they have any ideas; tell them what I am looking to do and see if they can make some introductions. And then I take it from there.

It's really a low bullshit game. I either have something to offer or I don't. I am approaching people who are receptive (because I serve a need for them), or they are not.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"The way they would their FB page."

As in how often? Or as in the content?

9. bigpern23

Similar content ... "Wow, what a great cheesesteak for dinner!" type of stuff ... Not updated nearly as often as Facebook, but still pretty regularly.

It always strikes me as odd when I see those updates.

10. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Not sure I'd be using LinkedIn for that type stuff. Sounds more FB to me.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, the woman who led our session said you SHOULD update your status, but not things like that.

12. bigpern23

Yeah, that makes sense. Update it every so often and get your name up in other people's newsfeeds. There's just a few people in my network who really use it more like FB.

I've really grown to like LinkedIn. I've been on it for a long time, but I only really started using it last year and it's been pretty valuable to me. I read several stories off the news tab every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted