1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LinkedIn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, May 17, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I see they offer paid memberships, you can subscribe to their job-hunting service, etc.

Has anyone used any of their paid services?

I've not done much with my profile there, other than set it up and accept connection requests when they come in. What can I do to make it more useful?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wick,

We actually just had a workshop on this yesterday (part of my company's attempts to help each of us as we search for new jobs) and the HR person is supposed to forward out a PDF of the presentation, along with (I think) the power point. If so, I'll forward to you.

There's a LOT more to it than I knew. No. 1: FINISH YOUR PROFILE. Add a pic. If you're at 100 percent, your profile is more likely to pop up at the top of a search. No. 2: 87 percent of people hiring said they use LinkedIn during their search.

There are RSS feeds. Make sure you get some good recommendations (4-5 really good ones is the best number to aim for, but don't do the "if you do one for me, I'll do one for you" thing. Companies don't trust them that way). Etc.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That explains the connection request I got yesterday. :D

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

IJAG,

I'm on LinkedIn. Send an invite to josephc.myers@yahoo.com

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've found LinkedIn to be extremely useful, even without using the paid subscription. So much, in fact, I am considering paying for it.

The links to industry-related articles are often interesting and useful. I've learned a lot from reading many of them as I transition out of journalism.

As IJAG said, finishing your profile is important and, from what I've read, adding a picture (even if you have a face for radio, as the saying goes) greatly increases the number of employers who will click onto it.

The job search function has been OK for me, but since I'm not in a position to move out of my area, it's been a little bit limited (I've found far more job listings in my area on Indeed.com). However, I have seen some really good jobs that I'm well-qualified for on the site (most have been in Boston, NYC or D.C.). It also makes it very easy to apply for them. In many cases, it's as simple as one click (though I usually try to tailor a cover letter to the specific job I'm applying for).

6. bigpern23

One word of caution, as well: If your employer doesn't know you are looking for a job, be careful about doing mass amounts of work on your profile. It's a dead giveaway that you're on the hunt if your employer sees you just uploaded a resume, cover letter, photo and five recommendations in the last two days. Could be problematic if you aren't ready to let them know you are looking.

7. imjustagirl

pern: go to your name on the top right, go down to settings, then go to where it says "broadcast changes" or whatever. Turn that off, upload everything, then turn it back on. NO one will know you made the changes unless they go look at your page.

8. bigpern23

Good advice, IJAG, I didn't know you could that. It could still be problematic, though, if your employer occasionally checks out employees profiles. I read an article (I think it was on the Wall Street Journal's website) about employers who do exactly that to make sure they're aware of what's going on with their workers.

9. imjustagirl

Right. I gave that disclaimer. I think it depends on the size of your company. But hey, anyone who would get mad at you for updating your social standing is kind of a dick anyway.

10. bigpern23

Eh, I don't view LinkedIn as a "social" site, really. Certainly some people do, but I think it's much more geared toward professional networking, so if an employer looks at your page to keep tabs on your professional dealings, it's not so bad. Of course, you're right, any employer who gets mad that someone is looking to improve their career is a dick. :)

That's why I don't use LinkedIn for any form of socializing. I kind of keep that as my professional online presence and save the personal stuff for FB and Twitter. Even on those, though, I try to remain aware that employers can often find a way to see things I think only my friends can see.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

LI IS your resume these days.

So instead of saying something simple like "beat writer" or what have you, this is your chance to make yourself more clickable, ala "award-winning NBA sportswriter/media personality" or whatever it is you are.

If I'm looking for people, and I see descriptors like I wrote in the prev paragarph, seriously, who am I gonna click on first? It's the most crucial line on your profile. It is your billboard. Make. It. Count.

12. imjustagirl

Social media: Any online source through which people can connect with you. LI is the most popular job-related social media program out there.

FB has bastardized the defintion of social media. Blogs are social media. YouTube is social media.

Draft saved Draft deleted