1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Line between editorial and advertising

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just wondering how much advertising influences editorial? Is any paper immune from this? Just wondering, since I'm in a polite exchange with a radio guy who said he's never been influenced. I call BS, since pressure on the editorial staff is applied somewhere on the chain of command.

2. KG

KG Active Member

I used to hate having to write about companies (that paid extra for it) when I worked at the magazine. It was always canned bs.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

A radio guy who says salesmen haven't influenced him is a stark raving liar.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I did some golf course reviews and pointed out the good and bad of some local courses.
    One of the courses was an advertiser and the owner complained to our publisher. Publisher asked me to go to the course and write a glowing feature. I told her if I went, I'd right a fair and balanced story. If I liked the place, I'd give it the credit it deserved. If I didn't, well, I'd write about it.
    She was not pleased and handed the story off to our entertainment guy, who wrote a glowing feature for his section. I was pissed, but felt ethically fine about how I handled it.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. This particular radioman has, apparently, never done a remote.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It always amazes me how many radio people have gold and think I should have some too. I wonder, do companies pay for these spots with dubloons?

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

My short-lived foodie career (I was well qualified) died when my paper went to restuarant-friendly reviews. I'm sorry, but 25-50 percent of restaurants aren't worth the price and your readers should know that.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What is this line of which you speak?

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We were also known as our local hospital's newsletter when they had a PR person who kept threatening to pull ads over little tiny things. Since she's left, not so much because the new person isn't half as mean and also knows that every time they add a new lunch item to the cafeteria menu, it's not necessarily news.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

All of the on-air radio guys around here are hawking everything from Toyotas and Fords to hair pieces and stomach stapling.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Aggravating to see it sneak into the paper, but well done Rhody...way to stand for something...I'm lucky my higher-ups get it, so I don't have to deal with that junk unless it comes from our ad director, who can be dealt with easy enough.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad but true at many places (including my shop).

Anyone who doubts this, I have two words that should strike fear into your heart: Progress. Section.

Draft saved Draft deleted