1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lindsay Lohan appears to be doing great

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

She was on Letterman’s show when she was six or seven. I posted the link.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The Parent Trap was 23 years ago. Mean Girls and PHC were over a decade ago. So were her more embarrassing public moments. Gonna cut her some slack. Growing up in that environment looks pretty tough.

I'm not that nice, actually. There was one actress/comedian who was adored by a lot of us. A friend made the move west, got a dream job working on the script for a big-budget Disney thing and passed on it to work with the walking, talking can of cat fud formerly known as "WE LOVE HER!" Cat Fud proceeded to excoriate the script on late night television. I was one of the people on a conference call until stupid o'clock in the morning with said friend who told her she was fabulous and beautiful and talented (she was and is) and to please not move back to Tennessee just because the bulk of Cat Fud's taste was in her overly wide mouth. It was probably a good thing Cat Fud did not make any appearances in Nashville for a while because at least three of the five people on the phone consider Tonya Harding to be a personal avatar. (Not me. I'm a Surya Bonaly fangirl, but that's neither here nor there.)

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Letterman was in his mid-30s when he had his last drink. He’d gone through (still is) the battle she is/was currently going through.

Lohan was (I hate plastic surgery on people or at least the surgery that is noticeable to the semi-blind) just so talented and so stunning to look at. No one looked like her. She was so beautifully unique.

I am really glad she is doing well.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Cat Fud is Letterman?

5. OscarMadison

Nope. The idea of Cat Fud being Letterman does kind of tickle me, though.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's yet another month of reckoning for the inexhaustible supply of knuckle dragging men.

Makes me yearn for the days when everyone speculated on Jon Hamm's million-dollar bulge.

7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Julia Roberts?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

She has a huge mouth, does Miss Julia.

9. OscarMadison

Gonna nope out of this one but will say most of us have better taste than Julia Roberts. Wish we could say the same for Lyle Lovett.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Julia Roberts’ birth bill was paid by Corretta Scott King - Julia’s daddy was a popular acting teacher in Atlanta and as such coached a couple of MLK’s kids.

As Hollywood starlets go, she’s known as a pretty good egg; been married to Danny Moder going on 2o years now.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Letterman’s interview of Lohan was indeed mean.

It belongs in the context of the time, however, which is on the back end of an era where going to rehab was literally monetized into a show with “Dr. Drew.” (Lohan’s dad, a top shelf loser, was on it.) The era is worth revisiting for the horror show aspect of it - what kind of “sober house” has VH1 cameras in it? - and it informed Lohan’s “I’m in and out of rehab!” persona at the time. She was really sick. She shouldn’t even have been on Letterman, who should have had the sense and kindness to say “you know, I’ll pass.” Imagine Demi Lovato, in full bloom of her addiction, on a TV show weeks *before* rehab. Very odd.

He did not; Lohan is among the most beautiful and naturally, off-the-cuff appealing actors of any generation , and thus ratings gold. He should have, even if it’s possible that Letterman was trying to wake her up. The movie Lohan was in at the time was awful, and frankly exploitative of her. I was surprised Shrader got work after it.

Did Letterman hurt Lohan? I imagine so, but I don’t want to presume to read into her reactions. It’s frankly a fascinating interview, featuring a Midwestern moralist curmudgeon (fundamentally Letterman is this) and an actor of incredible gifts who could and did talk about her struggles in a vulnerable way and could cull up almost any persona - including glamour - on command.

The treatment of Britney Spears - way back when, later than that, now, whenever - has long been mean, too. Meaner, honestly, because I don’t know that there’s ever been a lot of people in the industry rooting for Spears the way people rooted for Lohan (or would root for someone like Gaga.) You watch Gaga’s doc on Netflix, and she’s a lot, but you get why a person would spend three hours in a room with her. I don’t get the impression Spears is a very captivating person to have around when she’s not performing, and thus easy to pick on, and belittle. With Lohan I always sensed genuine exasperation with her - like “come on, there’s $200 million in a five movie deal and an Oscar nom waiting for you!” Spears, not so much.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    OscarMadison, PCLoadLetter and Hermes like this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The mid to late aughts period of the internet and culture were awful. I include myself in it. Just listen to a stand-up comic from that era. Our worst selves were unleashed upon each other. It felt liberating. It felt edgy. And it ended up destroying us.

OscarMadison and FileNotFound like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted