1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lindsay Lohan appears to be doing great

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Pretty soon the cancelists will dredge up on behalf of Lindsay this thread based on the title alone.

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I hope people see all of these examples and realize where the "politically correct" movement came from. At the same time understand that these things were said and done during the pre p.c. days.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I really don’t think he was going for laughs when he blindsided her; he was trying to save her life.

Now, did it devolve to laughs? Yes. Was that wrong? Yes.

I think Letterman honestly felt this was the last tome he was going to see her alive, and he’d known her for a long time.

An interesting watch.

lakefront likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

That didn't have to happen onstage.

She was an adorable little girl.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m going to assume it had happened offstage before and wasn’t working.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That was really jarring to watch. It was a strikingly mean, horrible interview.

What really got me, though, was I absolutely wouldn't have thought that at the time and I think the vast majority of the people watching would have thought it was awesome to see him sticking it to Lindsay like that. And it was only 7-8 years ago.

Letterman was a raging alcoholic for 20 years. You would think he might have a little more empathy.

(And to be clear, I've been a huge Letterman fan since his morning show. I'm not really posting this to shit on Letterman -- it's just crazy to me to see how horribly this has aged in a relatively short period of time.)

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LOL the bulk of this thread was posted well before that interview. It's almost entirely making fun of her. No one cared then. Anyone pretending they care now is fake moralizing. (Except @OscarMadison, she actually cares about people.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think my posts were related to me wanting to marry and live happily ever after with her. But I could be wrong.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

As an alcoholic, Letterman went what probably worked for him. There is no secret recipe for this. What worked for him does not work for all, but he tried. It didn’t go well in that moment, but she is still alive today. I doubt that interview was the tipping point, but I will almost never fault someone for trying. She probably had a lot more people around her not trying to help in 2013 than people trying to help.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Thank you, @TheSportsPredictor.

I had to cool off and watch it again. Hot take versus thinking about this and considering what was posted here recently. She looks like this took her by surprise, ie. it was not what was agreed upon before the red lights went on. It's a good bet Letterman wasn't being malicious. If he was in the middle of his own situation, he may have thought this was the best way to avert Lohan from the same fate. Only they know the truth and I'm more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt after reading here.

FWIW, I'm glad she's around and she seems to be doing well. I was a fan back in the day because she seemed like a young actor who made some interesting choices. There are parts that anyone could finesse through and it would be the entertainment of fast food. It might be momentarily satisfying, but there's not much to it and you forget about it a half-hour later. She's never turned in a bad performance. Spitballing here, but maybe it's a combination of natural talent and being directable.

The remake of "The Parent Trap" really spoke to my nephew, whose own family splintered apart when he was young, and to a lot of my clients, who were more often than not shuttling between parents, residential treatment, etc. It could have been another pastel-pop remake designed for the Tween Disney crowd. It's fun and funny and the locations are gorgeous. It's also way beyond so many emotionally cheap movies made for kids. Lohan and Richardson and Quaid and the cast of way above average kid actors turned in nuanced performances. The kid you bought this for when they were in late elementary/middle school may still have his or her copy.

12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Was she? 8 years ago Lindsay Lohan was deep into her demons.

Draft saved Draft deleted