1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lincoln bedroom: Story, selling Ambassadorships: not so much

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

This buried in the last paragraph of CNN.com story.

Fox, 77, is founder and chairman of the Clayton, Missouri-based Harbour Group. He was deemed a "pioneer" by President Bush's campaign for helping to raise at least $100,000.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/28/ambassador.swift.ap/index.html

The Right masterfully tosses out Gore-hypocrite story (he won't defend himself on camera) but where is the left's echo-chamber? CNN, the wires lead with Gore isn't envio-friendly. His spokesperson releases statement. Then, buried in story is Gore's purchase (at a higher rate mind you) of green energy from the TVA.

Until Dems learn how to play the game, they can't expect to win.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I honestly think Gore scares the rapture righties more than Barack does.

Hence the pre-emptive Swift Boat strikes.

3. And, it seems, his electric bill was high because he was using new technologies.
    http://www.nespower.com/green_power_switch.aspx
    Of course, we do recall the huge stink made over the Clinton's "selling" the Lincoln Bedroom, the one in which serious newspapers counted Chelsea's slumber parties as part of the total.
    It's not the noise machine. It's the criminally timid idiots at the top of OUR profession who enable this bullshit.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Had an appointment with a CEO yesterday who couldn't quit talking about the Gore electricity bill. He was fixated on it and how it showed he was a hypocrite.
    Gore isn't , but you couldn't tell that guy. He was damn near livid, so I think Gore does put the fear of God in the Republicans.
    He won the popular vote before. By all appearances he also won the electoral college vote if everything had been counted right. And if given a choice between Gore and Hillary, I'll go Gore. I think most Democrats feel the same way.

5. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Has anyone seen a report asking how the "think tank" got their hands on Gore's electric bill?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gore should scare the Republicans more than any democrat. Obama is color challenged. Hilary is Clinton challenged. The democrats don't need polarizing this time around. They need safe. Chuck Schumer is out there saying the Democrats are failing because they are not doing a good job of saying what they are about. His analysis is right about them in the macro, but in the current climate, the less they say the better. Their best strategy is not being the Republicans.

For ONCE, they don't need new ideas. If Iraq is where it is today come the election, a bland democrat just has to have his name on the ballet and his whole campaign should boil down to, "I am not Bush and I won't create any war messes." Gore is the closest thing the Dems have to that. They'll have to get him to shut up--really shut up--and just show up. And he can win.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Every administration, in effect, sells ambassadorships. If you want to be the next ambassador to Norway, give a shitload of money to the candidate you think will win. Its a perk of being a massive contributor -- doing a story on this would be like doing a story on the sun's East Coast bias.

A nominee who gave to SBV and is being questioned by Kerry -- now that is a story.

Draft saved Draft deleted