1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Linball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 10, 2012.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Fixed it for you. And there's nothing unselfish about not dunking. Unless you can't dunk (either because of leaping ability or the angle or what have you). Doesn't mean you should preen after every dunk or hang on the rim or any of that. I used to love the way Pippen would drop the ball in almost without touching the rim to allow himself a quick landing and turnaround to defense.

To clarify, it would be selfish for somebody to try to dunk if they can't dunk consistently, going for the glory of the dunk. For 99 percent of the NBA, this is not an issue so it's ridiculous to imply that dunking is selfish.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BrianGriffin

Because he became the umpteenth thousand Christian to successfully (at some level?) play football?

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

In the first 30 years of my life, there were two manias (Fernando and Wrestle), and in the last three months, there have been two more. It's just too much, too soon. Obviously this kid has talent, but a hot start isn't surprising. Nobody has film on him just yet, nor has anybody had time to learn how to break him down.

He'll come down to Earth in a few weeks. Again, I'm not saying it's a nice little story, considering not many Asian-Americans are in the NBA, he went undrafted and is from Harvard, but "Lin-mania?" Please.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear Tebow isn't a virgin because he apparently nailed Brian's mom.

Back to Lin, I am very interested to see what happens when melo gets back. If the offense grinds to a halt again, that's going to be a huge story.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Who knew Brian's mom looked like this?

Shit.

I just couldn't post it again.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is fine. But, the story is already as good as Disney's The Rookie.

I don't know why we need him to become a Hall of Famer to validate what he's already done. He electrified Madison Square Garden. Even if he never does it again, it's more than most people will ever accomplish. He did it on the biggest stage in basketball, against a superstar.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I think it's pretty clear.

8. BrianGriffin

Well, this isn't just any hot start. It's the best stretch over the first 3 starts by an NBA player since the ABA-NBA merger. This includes everybody - Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, EVERYBODY -and not just surprises.

Lin may be at the right place at the right time because he has a skill set that matches the system. He's a good fit in the D'Antoni system. You're right that teams will adjust. But I think he's showing that teams HAVE to adjust and through the adjustment comes opportunity.

I mean, it's not like teams are going to be able to just trap him to make him give the ball up and leave Carmelo and A'mare open. He's going to continue to have opportunities to get some things done.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gator: It's Linsanity. Lin-mania would be going too far.

Talk about out of nowhere, though: Exactly a week ago the Knicks were planning on cutting Jeremy Lin. Now look. That's about as classic as an underdog story gets. Far moreso than Tebow even.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If that happens Carmelo will get booed out of the Garden. Knick fans know good basketball when they see it. They do not want to watch Carmelo launch shots while 4 guys stand around.

11. BrianGriffin

He only technically lost his virginity to her if the blow job you keep giving him on here doesn't count.

Come up with crass BS and have it thrown right back at you.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nobody had film on much more celebrated players like JJ Redick and The Jimmer and neither had "hot" starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted