1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Limited use cellphones for older people

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Help me out here. My dad is in his 80s and still drives (competently, too). I'd like to get him a cellphone just in case he has some sort of issue and needs to call AAA or a family member for help. It would be helpful for non-driving times, too, so that people can find him and confirm where he is.

I believe there are cellphones where you buy blocks of time and they're basically an emergency-type thing. Dad doesn't need text messaging, video camera, or MP3 player. He just needsthe ability to instantly contact someone if the need arises.

What am I looking for here and how does that whole thing work? Thanks for any help.
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ask Spnited. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D [/fucking dickhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
  3. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

After my contract ran out, I used Cingular pay-as-you-go for about two years. You can recharge by phone using your credit/debit card. I always re-upped in $25 increments, but you can go anywhere from $15-100. It's like 10 cents/minute, plus a shitty $1 "usage" fee for each call. But it's pretty good if you don't want a contract or just want minutes available for emergency.
  5. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Can you get incoming calls with a prepaid phone?

I got rid of my celly a couple years ago. I have a phone at my work, a phone at my home, and my wife or anybody else I'd be with when I'm away from home and work has a cell phone. It didn't really make sense for me to pay $50/month for a phone. But it's getting harder and harder to find a pay phone, so I may have to resort to a prepaid cell phone.
  6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Verizon has the Chaperone. It's a phone that parents can give to their kids to check up on them, but it could definitely work in this case.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Great idea. That LifeAlert pendant thing (remember "I've fallen and I can't get up") has its usefulness, I suppose, but a cellphone would be much more handy in everyday life.

Aren't most old phones that are "off the grid" able to access 911 in an emergency? I've never tried it, but maybe a castoff phone would get the job done if so.
  8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's similar with Virgin Mobile too (which uses Sprint towers). I think it was something like 50 cents per minute for the first two minutes of the day, then 10 cents per minute after that.

Phones are fairly cheap. i think they have a flip phone now for $19.99.
  9. GBNF

GBNF Active Member

ATT offers go-phones for a good deal.

I believe the phone is free, no contract and pay in increments...

Great idea though, and good luck
Draft saved Draft deleted