1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Limbaugh letter brings $2.1 mil; twice that goes to soldiers' fund

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Oct 20, 2007.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The woman who paid the $2.1 million has contributed money to both parties, not a GOP fat cat.

And the "silly-ass stunt" just raised at least $4.2 million (Limbaugh said he would match the final bid, plus others have said they would contribute to the fund) that will help to pay for scholarships for children of Marine Corps members and law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. I'm sorry if that bothers you, TV and Fenian and whoever else wants to complain. If the Democrats want to come out and look like they're against this, go ahead.

You don't like Rush, fine. But if something good comes of this, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

2. Nobody said anything about having a problem where the money's going.
    TV made some salient points about priorities within the conservative movement.
    And this would never have happened if the coward hadn't taken as much heat as he did over saying what he did.
    It also doesn't make him a dollop less loathesome.

3. BBJones

BBJones Guest

If 95 percent of Americans were scraping for $3 gas, gas wouldn't be $3. We have the power to change that, among many other things. We just never use the power -- to change anything.

Carry on, meanwhile. This is truly an hysterical discussion.

4. I think this is an attempt at wit. If so, it's halfway there.
    Well, there's the consequences of longterm recreational use of his little blue babies that he bravely sent his maid out to score for him. These include hearing loss and, ahem, sexual complications. That qualifies as addled for me. His political viewpoints are just stupid and wrong. Drugs shouldn't be blamed for them. Drugs get blamed for enough without having to carry that weight.
    Having someone else's prescription drugs with you after promising the law that you wil stay away from them is, in fact, illegal.
    Customs frowns on it, too.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-06-27-limbaugh-travel_x.htm

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Political viewpoints just stupid and wrong" You always forget to add: in Fenian World. There's the absolute, incredible, asshole arrogance you people have. That phrase summed up what you stand for: "disagree with my political viewpoints, and you're stupid and wrong."

That's a terrible way to run a democracy, and it's also a shining example of the disdain in which you treat people who have the audacity not to agree with you.

6. No.
    There are a number of people with whose politics I disagree who I believe are wrong, but not stupid.
    Sam Brownback, for example.
    However, a guy who goes on the radio and tells me, among other things, this, about tobacco:

"It has not been proven that nicotine is addictive."

Or this, about Iran-Contra:
    "There is not one indictment. There is not one charge." (14 indictments, by the time he said it.)

Or who said, in Feburary of 1994, that the NYT had "never run one story" about Whitewater, when the paper had, in fact, run 92 of them, including the misbegotten original one that Gene Lyons left a pile of smoking meat on the highway.

..I can call stupid and sleep very, very well at night.

7. I've got no interest in the Republican vs. Democrat vitriol that is helping destroy the country, especially since neither side is much better than the other. What I don't get is how anyone can defend Limbaugh, one of the most hypocritical and dishonest figures on either side, who is as responsible for the partisan mistrust that is out there today. It is just lie after lie.

8. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Write-brained, you make a good point. But at the same time, I can't believe there are apparently vastly intelligent people like Fenian_Bastard who can't recognize Limbaugh for the schtick-centric entertainer that he is. Believing he believes all he spews is like believing Howard Stern really wishes cancer on people, etc. Limbaugh's job, which he's very good at, is to entertain the throngs of right-wingers who tune in daily. That people like Fenian_Bastard and/or any other non-member of that audience ever pays attention to a word he says is perplexing.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Trouble is, BBJ, Mr. Limbaugh's audience doesn't take it in as shtick, or as entertainment.

They take it in as gospel - the political consequences of which we now find ourselves living through.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That happens all the time when Fenian gets involved.

11. Entertainment? It's not entertainment. It's propoganda.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Although it really intrigues me, topics like this are exhibit A why I really hate politics...

Rush disgusts me, but I hope the money helps those who really need it...

*Sigh*

Draft saved Draft deleted