1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Limbaugh Boycott?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This says volumes an advertiser boycott never could: a Republican politician -- John Boehner, no less -- is saying something non-laudatory about Rushbo.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/02/10561783-boehner-calls-limbaugh-remarks-inappropriate

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He'll take it back by noon tomorrow.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

I can really see the Republican strategy of insulting all women and the men who would like to have sex with them paying off in the fall.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does Megyn Kelly take birth control, because I'll bet Rush wants that video?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At this point, it feels like they have put all their eggs in the economy basket. If it's good, they realize they have absolutely no shot. If it's stalled, then they have a really good shot. Even some Democrats, according to yesterday's NYT piece, are worried that Obama isn't hedging his bets enough with the unrelenting, "We're back, baby!" message.

But I digress. The non-Romneys in particular are going to just try to win this thing on cultural issues at this point, running as far right of Romney as they can, no holds barred. They don't even care about November because they realize that November is essentially going to be a single-issue contest over which they have no control.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I actually was a regular listener of Limbaugh in the early '90s, and a lot of the stuff he said made a lot of sense, even though I'm not particularly conservative. Plus, he was entertaining. After Clinton got elected, though, it just seems he went off the deep end, and just became more and more nuts. I'd like to think this was the step over the line that results in his eventual demise. His presence adds nothing to the discourse.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

old tony with "PATRIOT!!GODLESS LIBS!!!11!!!111" in 5...4...3...

8. Dick Whitman

I can't speak for his performance in the early '90s, but I think what we probably have seen/are seeing is a desensitization-of-the-audience phenomenon. Yesterday's crazee won't cut it today and today's crazee won't cut it tomorrow. It's a fine line to walk to retain your audience, who are apt to find someone crazier if you don't step up your game for them, as well as some semblance of mainstream credibility as a shaper of the discourse.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How so? Is he going to fire himself? Suspend himself?

10. Dick Whitman

I'm with deskslave, by the way. Boehner walks that comment back by the end of the weekend.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, you do know that it is a firing offense for a Washington journalist to write an article about politics without citing unnamed Democrats who are worried that whatever Democrats are doing is wrong. WTF is Obama supposed to say, "things are getting better, but it could all end in a heartbeat?" Snappy re-election slogan there.

12. Dick Whitman

Did you read the story? I think I still have the paper around somewhere. Essentially, the thought is - and it makes some sense - that he should at least moderate the message a little bit with eight months until Election Day. You don't want to end up being John McCain saying that the "fundamentals of the economy remain strong." Not this far out. There's no reason to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.