1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Likely Getting Canned This Week - Keep Me In Your Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Wishing you the best, Ex.

2. I couldn't empasize this sentiment enough. When my ME brought me in to his office in April and let me go because of budget cutbacks he treated me like absolute shit, like I had done something wrong. While other departments were given a months notice of their layoff and colleagues of mine in sports were allowed to finish the work week, I was given the speech of all that I was entitled and told I had 15 minutes to gather my things and leave. I did get to have a meeting with the publisher and we discussed why all the newsroom cuts were in sports and various other things about the cuts and their misconception that no readers in a 20,000 circ area were interested in high school sports.

But the biggest thing I did was keep my mouth shut. I have a strong dislike for the ME who laid me off even before he laid me off, but I didn't want to burn any bridges. The ME even called me after I landed my new gig to congratulate me and told me if I ever needed to come into the office to gather papers for clips that I was more than welcome to. Even then I avoided telling him to fuck off.

But my new gig is at a competing paper that actually appreciates having me there (even if my lower pay doesn't reflect that) and I'm doing the best work of my career. And best of all, my old shop is taking a beating from readers for having let me go. So even though they saved some money, I feel like I've won without throwing a tantrum or telling people fuck off.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Amen, pepper. Great story. Maybe next year you can detour past their table on your way to pick up your awards... :D

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

This was my question, too...you have a 25 year-old ND? What market size?

I work at a mid-size (60's to 40's) DMA and we are getting a new ND fairly soon. I'm still fairly young but cannot conceive having a News Director that young. Or is this an assoc. ND, or a News Manager?

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. You have to decide whether or not the nuclear exit is worth it. I was at a radio station that had a purge following some drama, etc. When I left, I erased everthing that had my voice on it and those of others who had been purged. It wasn't the classiest thing to do, and I wouldn't do it again, but I have absolutely no regrets. Those people were scumbags.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Nope, a full fledged ND at 25, with full powers and not a small market.

What happened was, when I joined, the reason I did was because the mgmt was similar to me -- same age, we all had kids. ALL of them were kicked upstairs...

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ex, what PC said is true... Everybody in TV gets it at some point. It sounds like you've conducted yourself beautifully.

Maybe you should convince those guys upstairs you'd be a better ND.

Limbo sucks worse than anything. Hugs.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You did your job amid trying circumstances, go out with class, people will remember you for it. Better days ahead.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is part of being young. Sometimes it is entirely justified. I do not feel bad for the havoc I tried very hard to wreak on those who crafted my demise, only wish I had more time and preparation.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Made it through the week...I think.

Thank God for blizzards to distract management. I just need three more weeks worth of busy news days... :)

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Might want to slip and fall on the ice and hurt your back, just in case.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Slowly and surreptitiously start taking personal effects out of your office so you can shoot the security people the bird when the suits summon them.

Oh, and if you have blog material or stuff in your server you want to save, start saving them now. The minute they cut you loose those go bye-bye.

Draft saved Draft deleted