1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Likely Getting Canned This Week - Keep Me In Your Thoughts!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by exmediahack, Jan 4, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ugh...

I've survived the past four months with a public and humiliating demotion. This week, we're finally back at full staffing and I am fully 'expecting the blade' as my contract is almost up. If not today by the end of the week.

Had a hard time sleeping last night even though I knew this day would come. It feels like a 'vocational' execution. I've been on TV news Death Row for four months now. At work, I've covered tons of assignments, turned strong stories and exceeded the expectations of an understaffed newsroom. They've asked for more output - I gave it to them and didn't gripe in the newsroom. I'm very proud of how I've handled this. I knew plenty of eyes would be on me since this all went down and I figured "if they want to shoot me, I won't give them a loaded gun".

As I will likely 'face the chair' in the coming days, any thoughts on keeping my dignity intact when I get called into the corner office? Anyone here who has been through the firings have any advice they'd like to share about that moment? If they could change anything about how they handled the moment of termination?

For the dark humor of my own situation, I went to go see "Up In The Air" over the weekend. I think I'm ready. :)

Thank you for your friendliness and good cheer over the past months (and years when my career was still in the 'Seasons In The Sun' phase). I appreciate it!

- ex

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hang in there, bud.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Do not, under any circumstances, tell the Bobs that you like Michael Bolton.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make light of your situation. I know it's horrible. Here's the thing: Before the axe actually falls, you have some control. If you haven't already, fire off resumes left and right. And be open-minded about what you'll accept. The job I'm in now -- been here 3 1/2 months -- came kind of out of left field, and so far it's been the best move I've ever made. Try to find it in yourself to embrace change. There was a thread of truth in what Clooney tells the firees in that movie, and it's not all negative.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thanks - I've been sending out resumes left and right and we've been saving money like crazy for four months. We'll be okay -- but it's still very stressful with a mortgage, a marriage, young kids, etc.

I'm very pleased with what I have done with what I control... we'll see....

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

Good luck. I walked the plank about a month ago and it totally sucks.

If the die is cast, the only thing you can control is how you make your exit. Don't burn bridges and stay classy. People will remember that about you and it may help you land your next job.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Ex,

Just remember this -- virtually everybody in an on-air TV position leaves when they get pushed out. No one leaves on their own terms. Walter Cronkite got forced out at CBS, for God's sake. It sucks to get fired (or to not have your contract renewed), but that's how things work in this business, and it's no reflection on you or your work.

At least the last five news directors in my shop have (a) switched main male anchors and (b) blown out most of the morning show talent within a year. That's the nature of the business. There was nothing wrong with the people who were there before, but someone wanted a change.

Just keep your head up and do work you are proud of. It's all you can do.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just rememeber Ex, you've worked hard and done everything they've asked. As hard as it may be, don't take the firing as a reflection on you or your worth to a company.

I was lucky when I got axed in that there were several others who were forced out with me, so I knew it wasn't personal. Rather, it came down to that other thing (money).

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine signed his termination form Go Fuck Yourself.

Childish, but it makes him smile when he tells people.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

This sounds like a situation where you are getting firec simply because their isn't any work and there are too many workers. It isn't a reflection on your work, you are just the low man on the totem pole so keep your head up, smile and exit with class so that the next time there is any opening, they won't hesitate to bring you back.

If I am wrong and they are firing you because they just don't like you, then take the Go Fuck Yourself approach.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't recommend the "Go Fuck Yourself" approach, as tempting as it may be.

When I got bought out/pushed out, it would have been so tempting to tell an editor what I thought of him/her or something funny, but so many jobs are gotten in this business because someone you used to work for recommends you and everybody knows everybody and everybody talks.

So take the high road, no matter how tough it may be.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The thing is, it's not "the chair." It could prove to be the best thing to ever happen to you. Years from now you might be telling the story and smiling at how your life turned out. Think of all the possibilities and start smiling now.

When you're in the chair, as opposed to "the chair," smile. Look like the happiest person in the world. Look like you've been paroled. Look like you have a new lease on life.

It'll make them wonder. It'll make you feel better. If you rehearse now, you might just believe it by the time it comes.

I say all this as someone who was out of work for 14 months and emerged the better for it -- if not financially, in all other ways.

Find a way to embrace change, and look the part. That's the best I can offer in terms of dignity. You'll walk out, and they'll wish they had a taste of what you have.

Good luck!

12. Mizzougrad96

In many cases you have been paroled, but in this economy, losing your job is never a good thing. It's brutal out there right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted