1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like newspapers, like soaps

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Does AP do practical jokes?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Last Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday "General Hospital" got a .5, .5, and .3.

Don't know how it does in other markets, but it gets infomercial numbers here.

And no, it's no April Fool's joke. It's a goner. I'll be pretty surprised if more soaps don't follow suit soon. They've actually started killing off characters to eliminate the actor salaries.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Nah, just get a vagina installed. We'll wait.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

AP didn't cancel the show. Its story is just cleaning up a press release.

PCLL is right, soaps are dying, but I still wouldn't be shocked if this was a joke.

5. ScribePharisee

Some have indeed started killing characters as cost-cutting measures.

But then again, check out some of the top-shelf actor and actress salaries on these.

The only ones making this in your newspaper biz are the guys doing the slashing.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Year after college trying to get a job, spent the days hanging out at a buddy's whose mom got him hooked on it. That whole summer was spent watching Guiding Light. There's some guy on a different soap and when I see him on a commercial while Ms. Slappy's watching GH, I shout LUJAK!

And I never found Kim Zimmer pretty. I also feel ashamed for knowing her real name. Come on, Beej. Let's go buy some Mydol and tampoons...

7. ScribePharisee

AP doesn't verify the source?

Soap Opera Digest is reporting the same thing.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm just saying, Scribe, that a cleverly executed hoax would not shock me.

And slappy, I can top you. I know many more names of the actors on the show. Don't make me prove it!!!

Were you around when the rapist of Buzz' daughter re-appeared as a chick? That was fucking outstanding. Mmmm, Mydol!!!

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

CBS has sent official notification to its affiliates that the show is dead. It's not a prank.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

GL IS ALIVE AND JOHN CALIPARI WILL STILL BE COACHING MEMPHIS WHEN 2009-10 BEGINS!!!!! [/crossthreading]

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seek help. You win. Or lose.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And Tony Bennett is putting his singing career aside to coach Virginia's men's basketball team.

Draft saved Draft deleted