1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like it or not, the X-Files are back

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Jan 21, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Football game disrupted recording of first episode, so I didn't get the end.
    So now I'm running 1 1/2 episodes behind.

A lot of talk-heavy exposition in that first episode, at least what I saw from it.
    And an old complaint renewed for this series:
    My recording lasted up to Scully driving in the car with that comedian playing the role of wealthy internet talk-show host. She gets a call from Mulder that is so cryptic she has no idea what he's talking about. They used to do that in the original series all the time.

At some point, why doesn't Scully scream into the phone 'Stop making these calls. If you can't reveal info over the phone or cannot speak plainly, do not call. These calls are in no way helpful. Sometimes I feel like we are trapped in a fictional universe and you use these intentionally cryptic calls simply as a way to create foreshadowing and anticipation for some type of audience. It is weird and annoying, Mulder. If you do it again, I'm blocking all of your calls.'

I Should Coco likes this.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Kinda hated the first episode. When McHale went on his long rant it was like watching an X-Files parody on SNL. The 2nd episode was much more satisfying ... I hope it sets the tone for the rest of the season.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I set our DVR to go an hour over once it was clear the NFC Championship was going long. I forgot to reset it back to one hour after that and ended up recording the first episode of "Lucifer" on Monday night as well. The X-Files got better on Monday. I'm still not sure about "Lucifer," so I may watch it again next week before I decide whether or not to stick with it.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was out of the house running errands and asked my wife to record it for me.
    No big problem. I'll go back and watch the end of Ep. 1 online.

Ep. 2 was definitely better and featured the good-looking Russian woman from 'The Americans.'

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I hope the rest of tonight's episode is as good as the first ten minutes. My favorites were the ones that made me laugh so I love this one so far.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That was such an absurdly wonderful episode. It was self aware just enough and a nice turnabout from the monster-is-the-bad-guy norm. I loved Mulder's cell phone ring tone being the show's theme. Loved it.

Iron_chet and Ace like this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was pretty hilarious. Lots of funny twists and winks:

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I love Rhys Darby. That was outstanding casting to play the baffled monster.

Spartan Squad and Ace like this.
  10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

"Mulder, the internet is not good for you". One of many times I laughed out loud. :D

Spartan Squad and Ace like this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Momentum seems to have stalled for the X-Files, whose final comeback issue begins in a few minutes.

I am watching last week's issue first. Scully just said, "I believe you believe."

Draft saved Draft deleted