1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like him or not, he is the best ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, May 17, 2007.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Then I guess Ted Williams (5-for-25 in his only World Series) really wasn't all that good.

I hate, hate, hate the simplistic ring arguments -- especially in baseball, where one individual has so little say about a team outcome. You can't feed a guy plate appearances like you can feed him the ball in basketball or football.

And even in basketball, I find it to be a silly thing. Patrick Ewing is perhaps my least favorite player of all-time, but his inability to win a title doesn't mean he wasn't one of the greats. Are championships something to put in the discussion? In a minor way, yes. But only as a tie breaker. If you have two seemingly equal players, and one has more rings, then sure, you give that consideration.

But if the ring is almighty, then we'd better clear a spot in the Hall of Fame for ... Robert Horry.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Don't forget about Steve Kerr, David Justice and Charles Haley.

3. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone who is considered to be the bestplayer ever to win one championship.
    As a matter of fact, that's part of the reason why Ted Williams is NOT considered to be the best player ever.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, that ... and because he used to practice his swing in left field. He couldn't give a fuck about defense.

"I just want people to say, 'There goes the greatest hitter who ever lived.' "

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That would have been Roy Hobbs... or was it Ted Williams? They both wore #9. Hmmmmmm

Draft saved Draft deleted