1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like a (right-wing) Phoenix from the ashes: The Washington Times is hiring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Its return is certainly official:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/about/jobs/

At least SOMEPLACE is hiring.

Not sure what the pay ranges are, though. Doubt that matters to those seeking employment.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The link says they are looking for a deputy sports editor and sports columnist(s).

As a resident of Northern Virginia, I would very much like to see the Times re-hire Dan Daly and Thom Loverro to write columns for the paper.

The link does not say how I might go about nominating these gentlemen for those positions. I guess they actually have to apply for the jobs if I am going to get my wish.

3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Also, five sports reporters.

So ... 2 Redskins, Nats, Caps and Wizards? No more Maryland and Georgetown, I guess.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

One DC United and Wizards, One Caps and Nats, Two Redskins, one colleges. And all do high schools.

5. secretariat

So from 25 sports staffers to seven. Fuck, why bother if you're going to half-ass it like that? It'll piss off more readers than it brings back.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can't imagine they could possibly think they can get by without two Redskins writers, so my guess is that's about right, secretariat.

To my knowledge, these former TWT sports writers have jobs:
    Mike Jones (former Wizards, now Washington Post Redskins)
    Corey Masisak (former Capitals, now NHL.com writer and editor)
    Ben Goessling (former Nationals, now MASN Nationals writer)
    Ryan O'Halloran (former Redskins, now CSNWashington.com Redskins writer)
    Tim Lemke (former sports business, now Patch.com site editor)
    Thom Loverro (former columnist, now Washington Examiner columnist)

To my knowledge, Mark Zuckerman and Patrick Stevens have built up impressive blog followings by just staying on their old beats, but neither has really found full-time work. David Elfin worked at FanHouse, and we all know what that means. Dan Daly writes for TBD.com, but I have no idea whether that's on a permanent basis or not, so I left him off the above list.

I haven't a clue what's happened to Barker Davis. Can't come up with any other names, but I'm sure I'm forgetting at least a few.

I'm curious to see how this all works out. I don't believe a reporter should be handed his job back, but several from the Times were pretty excellent at what they did and could be assets. Daly, at the least, was very, very popular with Times readers to my knowledge.

7. secretariat

Bob Cohn, Sports features writer
    Now: Staff writer, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Dan Daly, Columnist
    Now: Contributor, TBD.com

Barker Davis, Georgetown and golf beat writer
    Now: Director of content selection and management, Advanced Workstations in Education, Inc.

David Elfin, Redskins beat writer
    Now: NFC East blogger, AOL FanHouse

Ben Goessling, Nationals beat writer
    Now: Nationals beat writer, MASNsports.com

Mike Jones, Wizards beat writer
    Now: Redskins beat writer, TBD.com

Tom Knott, Columnist
    Now: Owner of The Black Squirrel bar

Tim Lemke, Sports business writer
    Now: Editor, Odenton Patch

Thom Loverro, Columnist
    Now: Co-Host of "The Sports Fix," ESPN-980 AM; Columnist, Washington Examiner

Corey Masisak, Capitals beat writer
    Now: Capitals insider, CSNwashington.com; Correspondent, NHL.com

Ryan O'Halloran, Redskins beat writer
    Now: Redskins beat writer, CSNwashington.com

Patrick Stevens, Maryland and colleges beat writer
    Now: Covering college sports for D1scourse, AOL FanHouse, CSNwashington.com, Lacrosse Magazine

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Well, that's an improvement on my list. Of course, FanHouse can be scratched off the list, and Masisak is now going full-time to NHL.com and Jones is replacing Reid as the Washington Post's Redskins Insider blogger.

I just read Zuckerman's blog got bought by CSN Washington.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What's a Caps and Nats writer? I assume said person won't cover any road games (beyond perhaps particularly big ones). Even so, good luck with that pair of beats.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Hopefully it's just a start and they'll build as they grow. Can't hire 25 from scratch.

And as mentioned, at least someone is hiring.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Zuckerman is now full time with CSN. Good to hear about Mike Jones getting on at the Post yesterday, too. I remember him when he was working at a weekly. Dude has certainly paid his dues. Good for him.

12. VJ

VJ Member

It's seven jobs that weren't there a week ago so I can't see how that's a bad thing. The quality of the section will suffer no doubt, but at least it's paychecks for some people who were without them.

Draft saved Draft deleted