1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Like a kid on Christmas Eve ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 23, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Sorry for the corny thread ahead of time, but I've just GOT to share this one.

Tomorrow's a REALLY big day for me, and I'm as giddy as a seven-year old waiting on Santa Claus. I know I'm not going to be able to sleep. I'm wired, have butterflies in my stomach and have been preparing for it since June.

For about 12 years I've wanted to fly a Black Hawk helicopter, and tomorrow (weather permitting) it's gonna happen.

At around 8:30 a.m. Alabama time, I'll crank the beast, taxi out, get clearance, pull in some power and realize a boyhood dream.

14,500 pounds with 3,092 horsepower and a top speed of just over 220 miles an hour. I've got a woody just thinking about it.

[​IMG]

I took my first Hawk ride in July 1997, and I'll never forget it. Tomorrow, I'll give someone else a ride (fuck, it sounds awesome to read/hear that). He'll be sitting in the back, most likely be more scared than I am, praying I won't kill us all.

Throw a couple Hail Mary's my way in the morning. I'll need 'em.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Buena suerte.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Stick and rudder, three bags. Stick and rudder. :p
    You'll have to give us an update tomorrow.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought this was a "two-hands, three-holes' thread.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Very cool, but for god sake's be careful with it!

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Godspeed, tbf. Can't wait to hear about your excellent adventure.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What is the preferred salutation to someone piloting a helicopter?

Fly straight, man. Unless something gets in your way!

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fuckin Irene

man that is cool 3 bag - I am excited for you. Will you be cuing up Richard Wagner

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Off too see the wizard.

Thanks for the well-wishes.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Best of luck, sir. Enjoy!

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I remember the first time I flew a helicopter. Scary and amazing all at the same time. When you realize how much power you have in your hands, it is overwhelming. Then you realize how much money you are flying in, it makes you nervous.

Then you realize your life and others is also in your hands, it becomes something totally different.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awesome, TBF. Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. I used to crane my neck to get a glimpse of the Blackhawks while driving past Sikorsky on the Merritt Parkway bridge over the Housatonic River in Stratford. Let us know how this works out.

Draft saved Draft deleted