1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lightning is a b****

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Lightning struck the power transformer on the pole just outside my house Sunday morning and fried the TV, DirecTV DVR and DSL modem.

It was the closest lightning strike I've ever experienced. The blast came on the second or third strike, so I didn't have enough time to unplug the surge protectors.

Just a bitching post. I had to buy a new TV, but the DirecTV DVR and the Verizon DSL modem were swapped out for free.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but do your clocks still work?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Many years ago, my parents' house was hit by lightning, taking out a TV. Then a few weeks later, another strike zapped another TV. Both were replaced by insurance and my parents invested in some serious surge protection. Maybe God was pissed at us. I have no idea. We had several pine trees and they are said to attract lightning strikes. Do you have pines nearby?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I live in the heart of the Poconos in the backwoods.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lightning is weird. A couple of years ago we had a storm that didn't have any lightning strikes particularly close, but it zapped my DSL modem and every other one in about a three-block radius from me. DSL modems are particularly sensitive.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's your homeowner's deductible? I'd at least make a few calls and see if you are covered on the TV.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's about the same as a TV.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Our house got struck by lightning a few weeks ago. We're still waiting on Kentucky Farm Bureau to quit dragging its feet and replace the siding on our house that was hit. Three TVs were also zapped, but my mom and step dad have already replaced those.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Sometimes I feel, sometimes
    I've been tied to the bitching post
    Good Lord, I feel like I'm fryin' "

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

My house was hit a few weeks back. Left a pretty dark scorch mark around the soffitt. Fried the cable/modem, which was replaced for free, and did about 800 bucks worth of damage to the A/C unit, including burning a hole in the freon line. Glad I wasn't home when it hit. Neighbor across the street said it was terrifying. Wish my poor puppy could tell me how scary that was.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

For about a six- or seven-year span, I developed an irrational fear of being struck by lightning.
    I had never worried about it before that, and it hasn't bothered me since.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some surge protectors have a warranty, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted