1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lightning fire Barry Melrose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Nov 14, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can't wait to see this when I get home. As to the second point, I think the fact that the inmates are running the asylum is now evident.

As to the third, well, no shit. You're not winning because you're not scoring? Who would have thought it?

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, then I guess I haven't seen a top-level coach, although I'll grant you that I'm covering soccer in southeast Kansas. But the scorer's box is right between each bench at the home field and the most in-game coaching I've heard amounts to "Get back!" "Go forward!" "What are you doing?" "PASS THE BALL!!"

The last head coach's favorite defensive strategy, for whatever reason, seemed to be to yell at the kids to "RUN AWAY!" I guess that was an attempt to run an offside trap. I don't recall it ever worked.

(Yes, I'm serious.)

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sounds like a fun guy, but not exactly Arsene Wenger or Fabio Capello.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So could the Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Think about that.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Sounds like Don Cherry when the Mississauga IceDogs came into the OHL. He spent part of one practice showing the kids the proper way to pick up equipment after a fight.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Raiders fired Lane Kiffin after four games. Is that a reason why the NFL hasn't grabbed the imagination of the American public? Wait, what? The NFL is the most popular sport in America? Darn it, there goes that argument.

Nice try, Drip.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

So they replayed Strachan's comment from October on "Hot Stove" in which he said the over/under on Melrose getting fired was Nov. 15. He missed it by a day.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Covered the local soccer team's home games this year, and listening to the coach yelling at the players was pretty interesting.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Owners had a hard-on for him.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

So, it was closing time and the lights hadn't come up yet and they were pretty well in the bag......and now it's late on Sunday morning and they've finally woken up to see what was lying in bed next to them? And they managed to be able to kick it not just out of bed but out of the apartment too?

Not that I would know anything about that.......

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Yeah, seems like I've heard about things like that... :D

Except in this case, imagine all the hair product left on Melrose's pillow.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. Firing Garner was the reason why the Tigers only won 43 game the next year (grin).

Draft saved Draft deleted