1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lightning fire Barry Melrose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by typewriterhill, Nov 14, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They have stupid, non-sensical firings in other sports too, ya know. Daniel Snyder, I'm looking at YOU.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with your post, I guess I was just thinking how weird it is that it is popular in my city.

And no, my city isn't affluent. There is a lot of oil money, but you wouldn't know it by driving through it.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The NHL's often-maligned decision to put teams in places like Anaheim, Dallas, Tampa, etc., is starting to pay dividends in terms of growing the player pool for USA Hockey. Give kids a big-league team to follow and see what happens...

To Drip: Tampa's fan base is already established. The Lightning didn't need a coach with an ESPN pedigree or another gimmick. They're not the Rays, after all.

As for Melrose, the guy waited, what, 14 years to get back into coaching, and this is what he got? Oy.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

-- The team's mistake was hiring him in the first place. There was a reason he couldn't get another job for so long after reaching the Finals.
    -- Football and hockey coaches do more coaching during games than basketball coaches do in a month, and baseball and soccer coaches do in a year.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo.

Scotty Bowman was as integral to his teams' nine Stanley Cup wins as were his players.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>Ooh, some mean person made a joke about my favorite sport. I'm going to take my juice box over to the corner and have a good cry....</i>

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or, someone made a pretty ignorant statement about a sport where the coach is pretty highly involved.

Not that it stops anyone around here normally.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Sounds like soccer -- tons of kids participate, but it doesn't translate into interest at higher levels.

Regarding Melrose, Allan Muir's take on SI.com seems pretty spot on: Melrose shouldn't have been hired in the first place, but he didn't have any players to work with and the ownership is a mess.

9. Smasher_Sloan

I think the smarter people recognized it was a facetious statement.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Sure, you remember the drastic dip in MLB popularity when the Tigers fired Phil Garner after an 0-6 start in 2002.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

You backtrack worse than Jason Sehorn.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye ... and I've seen several of your younglings play in the WHL. In fact, the Loops GM from 98-2004/5 made it his personal mission to ensure California and Nebraska were well scouted areas.

Draft saved Draft deleted