1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lightning ax Tortorella

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Igor in CT, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

This is someone I expected to snap a while ago ...

¶ TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - John Tortorella was fired Tuesday as coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning, four years after leading the team to its only Stanley Cup championship. He had one season remaining on his contract.
    ¶ The Lightning were 239-222-36-38 and made the playoffs four times in 6 1/2 seasons under Tortorella.
    ¶ ``This has been a very difficult decision because of everything that John Tortorella has meant to and done for this organization,'' Lightning general manager Jay Feaster said in a statement.
    ¶ ``Torts came to Tampa and not only built the foundation under our club but he also changed the culture and raised the expectations, eventually leading us to the Stanley Cup in 2004. What he accomplished during his tenure in Tampa was nothing short of remarkable and our organization will always owe him our thanks, gratitude and deep respect.''
    ¶ The firing came as no surprise. There has already been speculation about television analyst and former Los Angeles Kings coach Barry Melrose possibly replacing Tortorella.
    ¶ Melrose is a friend of Oren Kroules, who is leading a group that is trying to buy the Lightning.
    ¶ ``John was entering the final year of his contract and extending his contract was not a viable option,'' Feaster said. ``Having him enter and coach the season in a lame duck status was not something I was prepared to recommend to ownership.''

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

We know what he did.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Barry Melrose? Ugh.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wonder who the "Brooksie" was.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Larry Brooks

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So get the f ... ahhh, never mind.

The only reason I'm glad Tampa did this? Helps my team. He was the first, second and third reasons hockey became worthwhile and relevant there.

Feaster fouled up. Thanks!

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bill Davidson a busy man today. :eek:

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tortorella's act gets tired really quickly so you can imagine what it'd be like playing for him.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That's exactly what happened with Melrose in L.A.
    By midseason in 1993, I thought that if I heard him say, "If I tell you, I'll have to kill you" one more time I was gonna scream. Instead, I'd say to him, "The ticket-buying public demands to know."
    I know the players were tired of it. A key thing on that run to the Stanley Cup Finals was Gretzky missing more than half of the season because of a back injury. He came back and was still fresh for the playoffs. Melrose charmed the columnist, who starting showing up late in the season.
    The next draft, he picked a goon in the first round. If he really wanted him, he probably would have been available in the fourth round. Melrose was fired after that and hasn't coached again. Shit, 15 years. Why is he so attractive now?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He's a television personality and people remember that the Kings went to the Cup Final.

Torts should have his pick of jobs. I think he'd be a great fit for the Sharks.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The best case scenario for Canadiam media is for Tortorella and Wilson to take over the Leafs and Ottawa.

And then Burke could move up and be the Leafs GM.

The fun would never stop. There'd be a daily soundbite from each of them .

Draft saved Draft deleted