1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light the Hot Stove fires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Here in Toronto, the status of Vernon Wells beyond next season is the big question.

J.P. Ricciardi should have somewhere around $80 million to spend next season. He'll be looking for two starters, a middle infielder, two catchers and a set-up guy.

I can see the Jays bringing back Gregg Zaun, Justin Speier and Frank Catalanotto and tryng to keep Ted Lilly. Julio Lugo is a guy they'll look at too.

Plenty of talk radio types wondering if the Jays should bring back John Gibbons but J.P. has given no indication that he's willing to change skippers.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If Liriano is indeed on the shelf for all of next year, the Twins will likely regret picking up Torii Hunter's $12 million option.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

How about the Yankees keeping what they have? I like the fact that they spend more money than the gross domestic product of Bolivia and get exactly one postseason win for it. THAT's moneyball ...

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If you are going to take that approach, then what about all the teams that spent millions of dollars and had exactly zero playoff wins this season to show for it?

5. novelist_wannabe

What about 'em?

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just find it funny how a lot of people in this country hate on the Yankees for spending so much money to win just one playoff game, so I just wanted to point out that there were 24 teams that spent a whole lot of money and didn't win a single playoff game.

7. novelist_wannabe

Well, you know, it's not as much fun to pick on them because a.) their expenditures on payroll paled by comparison and b.) they're not supposed to win. The Yankees and their fans act like world championships are always in the script for them. There are plenty of other reasons not to like them. The money's just an easy one. Don't get me wrong -- I don't fault the Yanks for spending the money. They're just playing within the rules of the game. But I sure enjoy it when things go wrong for them.

8. XXXX

XXXX Member

i was giving the cards some respect. i mean they did just win the world series. and i am not at all surprised about the moyer signing. the second year is not worth that much, and he is a mentor to cole hamels and the rest of the pitchers. almost like a second pitching coach. i REALLY like the signing because he'll help all pitchers get a little better.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

According to one less-than-reliable source (rotoworld.com), he opted out of his contract and filed for free agency today.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

There are a lot of fans (Royals and Pirates fanboy looser here) who would be content for years if they saw their team win one playoff game. Heck, even qualify for the playoffs and play tough in a three-game sweep.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And according to real source...AP which runs the official MLB filing list .. Ramirez did indeed file for free agency today.
    Why wouldn't he?

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The radio folks were going off. Yes, Aramis did file for free agency.

And Cracker Barrel keeps its open stove pretty hot. Nice place to be in the winter.

Draft saved Draft deleted