1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light the Hot Stove fires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Oct 29, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Beef: Wood's a free agent and Prior is the definition of damaged goods. There's no way the Yankees entertain trading ARod to the Cubs unless Zambrano is coming back. And even then, Zambrano's got a ton of mileage on his arm thanks to Dusty.

Hank: Teixiera isn't a free agent for a year or two, he'd have to be acquired. But you're right, he'd probably want an extension in exchange for being dealt. My darkhorse there: The Red Sox.

Chris: That's not a bad conspiracy theory. My guess is Barry filing so early is just a passive-aggressive tweak of the Giants. "Well, we can't get anything done here so I guess I'll have to file even though I've been here since 1993. Sigh." But your theory is far more interesting. :D

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, I should have said trade. Didn't mean to imply he was a free agent.

Maybe Robertson, Miner and a minor leaguer for Texiera. Don't know if that'd be enough for the Rangers tho.

Isn't Seattle thinking of shopping Ichiro?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

A. A-Rod will not be traded. Bor-ass has said he wants to stay and it will take a lot to make him waive his no-trade. There also is no way the Yankees can get fair value back for him...despite his post-season chokes in NY.
    B. Bonds filing early means nothing since offers can't be made until a specific date. The question is how much of a drop from his $20 million is Barry Balco willing to take? Will $10 mill get him or $12 mill? I'd love it if nobody made him an offer but that won't happen.
    C. Ichiro isn't going anywhere, either.
    D. The Yankees big purchase this winter will be Diasuke .. they'll spend a ton to win negotiating rights and a ton and a half to sign him. Nobody else will have that kind of money.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Cashman can only be talked into signing pitchers with unknown (wink, wink) health problems. There's just no room for guys, like Prior, everyone knows is damaged goods. Oh, wait ...

And Wood already filed. He's going to sign with the Cardinals, throw 240 innings, win 27 games, strike out 326 batters and lead them to another title. And then Scoop Jackson and Jason Whitlock are going to become lovers, newspaper circulations are going to increase precipitously, women will stop being crazy and I'll stop being cynical and actually have a good attitude toward things.

Oh, what would I do and where would my life be without sarcasm?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

See, this is why baseball sucks. No one can compete with the Yankees and their endless cash flow.

Why, baseball will never have the type of parity that will allow seven different teams to win the title in seven years...or allow the team with the 13th-best regular season record to win the championship. Ever. Baseball sucks!!!! ::)

6. healingman

healingman Guest

Hot stove time? Nothing could be finer.

I'd like to see A-Rod out of New York because he's a great player but damn, he's just not connecting there in the Yankees system at all. Yeah, yeah ... King George will just pull a few more million out of his butt and put together another $300 million dollar team.

Last time I checked ... it was St. Louis-Detroit in the WS.

Pretty soon, George will have to put the Chairman of the Board off of the post-game music and play "Hey Big Spender" instead. Wait a minute!! Pretty soon? Just go ahead and do it, George. Who cares? It's your world and everyone is just a Pluto around it.

7. Would that make David Cone's right nut available as a player to be named later?

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

When the Yankees don't make the playoffs, then talk to me about parity.

Anything can happen in a short series (as proven in this past World Series, among others).

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Anybody want Geoff Jenkins.....anybody....please?

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I've heard talk the Brewers will get rid of Geoff Jenkins and Brady Clark. Which does beg the question - how? Guess it would have to be for some other guy a team wants to do a salary dump with.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now where did I exactly put that sarcasm font ...

I'll admit I didn't realize that Wood was a FA, but I just have a feeling that A-Rod is coming to the Windy City, I don't know for who, but I hgave a feeling Zambrano won't be involved. Ramirez maybe + Izturis ++? I just have a hunch. Any Yankees fan I'm sure will tell you it doesn't matter what you do in the regular season until you can do it in the post-season and I think Steinbrenner et al have grown tired of A-Rod and his post-season check-out and that he will be dealt this offseason, and there aren't many teams that can affoard him, although I believe Texas is still eating a chunk of his salary. People keep throwing LAA outthere, but how big is their budget and how much space do they have there?

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

What does the FA pitcher market look like this year? Is it any better than last year's?

Draft saved Draft deleted