1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Light the Hot Stove fires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I figured we probably needed a hot stove thread to discuss MLB in the offseason, so we can let the horrible World Series thread disappear.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm curious to see what, if anything, the Cubs do. But I know it likely won't do any good. :(

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Barry Bonds in Chitown?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Would not be surprised to see Barry Bonds in Detroit.

Actually, I HOPE he's not seen anywhere next year. But the Tigers could have used a threat like that last week.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Regarding the Yankees, how about Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui for Scott Brosius' heart, Tino Martinez's integrity, Paul O'Neill's jockstrap and any one of the 147 leftfielders the Yankees had in the late 90s?

In a separate deal, how about Mike Mussina and Randy Johnson for Andy Pettitte and David Cone's left nut?

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You forgot Chuck Knoblauch's batting stance.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Actually I'd like to see Mark Texeira here instead. Unfortunately, I've heard he wants ARod money.

8. Crazy it may sound - from an unsound mind it may come but I wonder if the reason that Bonds declared his free agency so soon was because he doesn't think he'll get a decent offer?

Follow me on this - Bonds declares right away - that way it takes away the excuse from a team that they filled his slot prior to him filing for free agency. If he doesn't get a big offer - Bonds may sue claiming collusion from the owners or that he was slandered by the Chronicle and by Game of Shadows authors. Bonds could go for a big pay day from the courts and not step on the playing field again.

Remember - even I said it was a crazy thought but if someone offered me 1,000-1 odds - I'd probably plunk down $100

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm waiting to see how soon it will be before George Steinbrenner says to Brian Cashman "Go sign Bonds, I don't care how opposed you and our other baseball people are to making the move. We're the Yankees and we need to have Bonds break the record in a Yankees uniform, bringing the home run title back to the pinstripes where it belongs"

And as a Yankees fan I hope that never happens. However I am hoping there's a way they can find a way to make the two trades Clever Username proposed.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

What is the likelihood of A-Rod ending up a Cub and reunited with Pinella? What would it take? I know he's arrogant, I know he has never fit in with the Yankees, but damnit, I'll take his 40 homers, .315 BA and 120 RBIs every day of the week, plus until he melted down al a Knoblauch this year he's a gold glover to boot. They gotta do something anyways to make my prediction of a World Series in 2008 come true (made about seven years ago), right now they are a long ways away from it. A-Rod would be the first step in that direction. Right now there's only about four players on the entire roster I have any use for: Zambrano, Aramis Rameirez (sp?), Lee (when he's healthy), and Micheal Barrett.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I still think if he is going anywhere, it will be to the Angels. He liked playing out West and LAA has the most to offer as far as pitching. There is no way the Yankees are getting Zambrano because the Cubs can't replace him. As a Yankees fan I would really like Lackey or Santana from the Angels more than Zambrano.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

You mean a package of Wood, Prior, and Izturiz wouldn't interest the Pinstripes? Comeon, they took a flyer on Kyle-Can't-hold-a-lead-if-my-life-depended-on-it-Farnsworth, I'm sure Cashman could be talked into giving a "healthy" mark Prior and Kerry Wood a chance. I can't even type that with a straight face.

Draft saved Draft deleted