1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life's cheap but special pleasures

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Here here! By the way, there's nothing quite like diving into a snowbank after being in a hot tub for a while, rolling around in the snow and then getting back in. That's a simple pleasure.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

with about six inches of snow so you can set your beer in a perma cooler while in the tub.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Long, slow run on a day when you can sense that spring is eventually going to arrive, with some new music on the Mp3. Let the dog off the leash in the park, so he can swim and then come back shaking water all over the place ... text message from my son in college that doesn't involve needing money.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hearing Dusty Baker talk about baseclogging while managing another team.

The only way to improve on it would be for him to be managing the Cardinals.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Walking in the rain when the sun is out.

Sitting on a deck in the country, listening to music and drinking beer from a can with family and/or friends.

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Standing ankle-deep in a Rocky Mountain stream on a late summer evening without a soul in sight; a fly-rod in my right hand, trout nibbling at the bugs on the water, a small pale evening dun on the end of my line — no bigger than the fingernail on a 2-year-old's pinky.

A perfect cast, no drag on the water, a subtle rise and... a strike. The intricate dance of leading the fish to my net. Upstream. Downstream. Net.

Taking a picture; holding the trophy in the water, facing upstream to let it get over the shock... and the trout jumping back to life, swimming out of my fingers ready to nibble on the surface again tomorrow.

(Edit: spelling)

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

In the same vein as hot tub in winter: driving with the windows down on late fall nights, with the heat on full blast.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Warm spring mornings*. There is something about waking up and knowing it is going to be warm outside and you actually feel like getting out of bed and accomplishing things that day. Just brightens my entire mood.

* - This could be summer elsewhere, but it is so hot in the summer here that I generally don't want to get out of bed. Seriously, it was 86 here on Monday. It is fucking February.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

My dog's smile and his tail wagging. I know I'm home -- wherever we are.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And the headlights will lead you back to your place

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

1. Taking the kids to the zoo.
    2. Driving down the highway, window down with favorite tunes blasting.
    3. The smell of the kitchen when my wife, my mother or grandmother cooks/bakes.
    4. Holding my kids while they sleep. Nothing more innocent than a child sleeping.
    5. The first cup of morning coffee with the newspaper.
    6. Playing in the backyard with the family on a lazy summer night.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

1. The smell and feeling in the air on an unseasonably warm spring day in March or April.
    2. The "powering down" sound Windows makes when turning off your computer.
    3. Laying in bed with the windows open at noon, listening to traffic whiz by outside your window.
    4. Seeing the Christmas tree on Christmas morning, regardless of who's around or what's under it.

Draft saved Draft deleted