1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Life Without the Web'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The NY Times did a fascinating story a few weeks back called "Your Brain on Computers."

It touched on some of what internet, Google, e-mail, video games, etc. are doing to our brains. It's only about 25% good and 75% bad.

Those of us with families really need to take it seriously, I think.

I highly recommend reading the entire article and the two sidebars...

... Provided your brain still has attention span to get through it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that same story!

I have a toddler, and I am less worried about him some day being stalked by Internet sexual predators than I am about him becoming one of these teen-agers who has to be downloading music, listening to an iPod, testing, instant-message chatting, taking a personality quiz, playing WoW, updating his Facebook page, and writing his book report all simultanously.

I don't think this makes me a Luddite. I just try to respect the power of the technology to do good AND bad.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

At some point, people are going to have to let go of the idea that multitasking makes them more efficient. It just doesn't.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

To me, the Come-to-Jesus part of that article was the "Business Deal Interrupted by Corpse," where the guy let a random Twitter post about a dead guy take his concentration away from a multimillion dollar business deal.

The point: We are training our brains to think "newer" information is "most important." And if all our brains start thinking that way, we are fucked.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I love that I live an age where all this is possible. I also love that I have the option of turning it off. I'm not sure that will be an option in the near future. Some of our devices won't work without being connected. I liked that airplanes gave a respite from calls and email. I liked that national parks didn't have wifi. Not that I'm saying we shouldn't have these things. But The temptation of ever-connectedness will be make me technophobic soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted