1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life with AP Limited

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Mar 24, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Podunk is big enough for two teams?

If so, I'd put 10 on the Lions over the Druggies.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Toby's right, Exchange offerings mirror your normal wire. Always thought of Exchange's text features as a backup for when the main wire went down anyway, although some boxes do flow easier in Exchange.

And thanks for the tip on NASCAR. One of my rules is there's no such thing as too much NFL or too much NASCAR. I'm curious to see what, if anything, we'll get from Martinsville this weekend. We've all heard the cry of the NASCAR fan scorned!

Had to come in a little early today for a webinar and have been working on some devices to eat up space. I've often wondered, being a pm'er in the online age, how many folks are still waiting for that Rays-Royals box by the time we hit the streets anyway. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks. I can understand why Limited works for news side, but starting to wonder about it for sports.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I can pretty much guarantee you'll get call about missing box scores.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We've been using NASCARmedia.com for pics for over a year. It's a great help for art and info.

We are signed up with many of the pro sports media sites since we have AP, but we don't pay for AP Photo.

http://archive.apsportseditors.org/ has a list on the right hand side of the page with links to all the media sites (under "related sites").

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

(bump)

Had a little bit of idle time tonight, so looked a some of the links to media sites from the APSE. Didn't register, but one question? Is all that stuff fair game for use? I'm thinking about some of the stats packages mostly ... sure will help in the summer having some batting averages!

7. spikechiquet

I've registered with all the main sites, but when it comes to stats. That's all fair game. I don't think batting averages and ERA are copywrighted.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Unless you're running a fantasy sports site, then MLB will sue your ass back to the Stone Age.
    But, yeah, I don't see why you couldn't use it. It's in the public domain, right?
    My impression was that the primary advantage of using AP's agate was for expedience (updated glances on deadline) and convenience (not having to monitor game scores, write your own boxes, etc.). If you have the time and patience, why can't you compile it yourself? We already do it for college baseball, whose coverage from the AP this season has gone from appallingly lacking to almost non-existent.

9. toivo99

toivo99 Member

One AP story today: Tigers-Angels gamer.
    No overall draft preview.
    No state draft preview.
    No NBA/NHL capsules or roundup.
    Three pages to fill, and no local sports.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Been there, done that at a previous gig. I feel your pain.

11. spikechiquet

You should have been better prepared then...if you knew there was no local sports going on, then you should have had a nice feature or two (or three) prepared.

12. toivo99

toivo99 Member

We save our features for Sunday when we're given 6-7 pages and 5 p.m. deadline doesn't let us get much local in that day. True, we weren't prepared (and there's no excuse for that), but it is getting ridiculous. I'm more pissed off that our readers can't get anything on the NFL Draft or the NHL playoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted