1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life with AP Limited

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Mar 24, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If this is a d-b apologies, and I'm sure the membership will link to the old threads and, of course, show no mercy on my soul ...

After almost 3 months of the good life, they finally shut off the main AP sports wire today in favor of AP Lite, er, AP Limited. And I do mean limited ... gamers and agate restricted to state teams, no capsules, a feature or two, not sure if we get Litke (who won't be missed) or Dahlberg (who will).

My intent here is not to throw a pity party (readers who have complaints will be urged to contact the ME or the publisher, this was their decision, not mine ... and maybe a groundswell of negative calls will get that full page of boxes back), but to see how others in my boat are dealing with this are doing. Yeah, we can rachet up the local as best we can with a 2-man department, but what to do after Memorial Day when school's out, short of staffing Podunk Drug vs. Podunk Breakfast Lions?

I also have MCT at my disposal, which, of course, means mpre columns, more baseball and more NASCAR. Come to think of it, it's a hell of a problem ... too much space.

2. This probably isn't helpful from a professional standpoint, but I know how you feel. In mid-January we went to AP Lite and it was horrible. We had CNHI bigwigs telling us there were all kinds of places where we could get the same information online. Try STATs (message to CNHI bigwigs AP owns half of STATs) they said. Anyway, they finally relented about a month ago and lets us get the full sportswire back.

I think an expanded agate only option would have been helpful for the AP to offer or something that understands shipping stories with geographic relevance rather than going by state boundaries. Our paper is about 30 miles from the stateline, but on AP Limited we couldn't get any news from the neighboring state. We would get stories about the pro teams in the urban center eight hours away that our readership didn't care about.

Anyways no help, just some honest-to-goodness empathy.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

News side has gone to AP Limited, but we have so far stuck with the full – and ever diminishing – full AP sports package.

In June, we'll try A Week Without AP as an experiment.

4. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

If you need NASCAR agate and stories, sign up for NASCARmedia.com.

We had the very limited as well and about tore our hair out because suddenly, we weren't getting the agate for the graphics that we had set up. (We used the Expanded Glance for NFL, NBA and MLB when they were in season. And then we didn't get those.) The main pain was the agate that we suddenly didn't get. All of our NASCAR agate went bye-bye. Our AP top 25 schedule was gone. All of the Glances, except for the short and conference glances, were gone.

Plus, you get almost no stories. So you better have a lot of local content lined up if you have several pages to design every night, because you aren't going to have anything else to fill up the pages with. The dumbest thing is you get all sorts of pictures and stuff, but no content to go WITH the pictures.

I feel your pain. We finally appealed to the corporate bigwigs, who gave us our full AP wire back (kimron, if you get your EIC to kick up enough of a stink, they'll give it back to you.) We have no idea what we would have done in the summer with what we had.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

HanSen:

Is logging onto AP Exchange an option, or would you just get the same limited offerings there???

We lost our AP server a few months ago and we aren't replacing it, so we get all our wire off AP Exchange. And to add my gripe to the mix, we have MCT for photos, but not MCT stories or graphics. Another cost-cutting move, with no thought given to the effect on the newsroom. Try matching AP stories with MCT photos. And if there's no MCT paper in a town where an event is, you're SOL.

in the heart of NASCAR country, we've had to go photoless for three races so far this season.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Problem we've found at my shop: Often we'll get photos from a feature story through AP exchange, but the stories that accompany them aren't on "our level" of AP service.

For instance: We had a huge paper the other day, needed more than the usual amount of wire to fill it, and there were some great photos of beekeepers from our region.

But they were tied to a national story on the honeybee shortage that we didn't get, so we had to run a beekeeper pic as a standalone.

7. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

I believe the AP Exchange offerings now reflects a newspaper's level of service, so you no longer have access to the full flow of content.

NASCARmedia.com does have photos available, usually same day shortly after races, as well as graphics. We follow the trucks series for a local racer, and we've used that a couple of times for art when the race wasn't being staffed by a nearby paper or AP.

8. fishhack2009

Is that free, Toby, or is there a charge involved?

9. Toby Carrig

Toby Carrig Member

Free to accredited media. There is a registration process involved.

10. fishhack2009

Thanks. I just registered. Hopefully that will help solve our MCT issue. I've already fielded a number of calls from readers wondering why we often don't have art with our NASCAR race stories.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We went AP limited news but kept full sports. But somehow that resulted in getting MORE sports. Minor league hockey standings started coming in. Box scores from EVERY major conference college basketball game. Um, OK. Guess I'll just wade through it.

Oh, and somehow this upset the sorting program so now sports stories don't auto purge, either. After a nice long weekend, I have to clean about 2,400 files out of the folder.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That could be a tough to fill the sports pages, especially if its toward the end of the month.

Draft saved Draft deleted