1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life takes a turn for the weird

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

WFW.

3. That DEFINITELY makes you sound like a dick. Some people believe -- for a number of different reasons, many of them religious -- that they should "save themselves" as the ultimate gift to their spouse.
    Personally, I think that's a beautiful thing. I didn't live up to that standard, but I think those who do are amazing people.
    That takes incredible determination in this day and age.
    Honestly, I think if you can't handle it, she's too good for you.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was really hoping you wouldn't read this thread and if you did, you'd keep it quiet.
    And to answer Kokane's question, five times since the blind date.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Ding, ding, ding! That's the problem with people (usually religious types, but not always) who place soooooooo much emphasis on marriage. They forget about the dating. They forget about getting to know someone as a person or just having fun and enjoying someone's companionship. They're too busy going through the "good husband/wife, good father/mother" checklist in their head. Because it's not just that they don't believe in sex before marriage, they believe that marriage and parenthood are the ultimate accomplishments in life.

That is fair. You want someone who shares your interests and values, just like she does. Your values are different. Not "right" or "wrong" but different.

If she goes back to her friends and says "it didn't work, we have different values" she is heralded as a model of Christian womanhood. Don't feel bad about making that same pronouncement.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Seriously?

She's a 34-year-old virgin and we're going to blast Jay for being a little weirded out by that?

You're fine, Jay. It is a little weird.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It is by definition unusual.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Date divorced women and you never have to worry about this.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not read a thread that you started!?! Unpossible!!!

And your secret is safe with me, Clark Kent.

That said, do you like her? Do you enjoy spending time with her? Can you cope with not hitting it? If so, then keep seeing her.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Bullshit.

By ascribing "good" and "bad" to the situation and choices people make, you're disrespecting the values and beliefs of those who don't share yours.

11. I don't think anyone has blasted him.
    I certainly haven't meant to.
    My point is simply that if it bothers him to the point he can't deal with it, he needs to move on because she is obviously looking for a husband and time is not on her side.
    And it's just my opinion, but those who are greatly bothered by the convictions of others are shutting out a lot of really good people from their lives.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If the friends that set you up knew, they should have let you know.
    It doesn't sound like you want to continue, so why do it?

Draft saved Draft deleted