1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life takes a turn for the weird

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 11, 2008.

1. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

And does her name rhyme with Mulva?

2. I think you were understandably freaked out, but don't you at least respect her convictions? Even if you don't agree with them, I think it says a lot about a person if they can stick to something they believe in even when the easy (and fun) thing to do is go against it.
    If you can't handle it, you need to tell her now and not waste her time.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Someone has to be the first one.. why not you?

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well, shoot I don't know that's what I was worried about reading the post. Although I suck at dating so I'm probably wrong. And if she didn't sound offended, I'm sure you're fine, Jay. As I said earlier, best of luck and I hope everything goes well for you, sir.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Once I had a woman drop the virgin bomb on me AFTER the deed had been done. It was so weird, because it wasn't like we waited very long. Then a few weeks later she just drops into casual conversation that I had been the first. Not surprisingly, she turned out to be a psycho (unannounced drop-bys at my work, drive-bys of my apartment).

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She's entitled to make that choice. He's entitled to choose not to pursue a relationship that doesn't include sexual intimacy without marriage.

You're entitled to be surprised, but you might still have come off badly in the exchange. It's difficult to determine without being privy to the exchange or at least interpretations from both sides.

7. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Course, in relationships, EVERYTHING is difficult to determine without interpretations from both sides....and the dog, if available.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And I'm kinda wondering if I shouldn't be a little pissed at my friends.
    I took, "she hasn't dated much" to mean that she hadn't dated much, not that she was waiting for some Hollywood-inspired notion of romantic love where only one person out of six freaking billion on the planet is the "one" and you'll meet that person and you'll know and that will be only person. Ever.
    The text wasn't a transcript. I don't think I came across as a dick to her and I know she didn't take it that way. I got the feeling I wasn't the first person who did a spit take. And she wants me to come over tomorrow night for dinner — she's cooking — and some Olympics watching.
    And I do respect her convictions, to a degree. It is an impressive thing to pull off, not, you know, to pull them off, but still. I think it just creates some unreasonable expectations.
    It is a husband tryout, not a date.
    I don't know if that is fair and to be honest, as much as I hate the way this makes me sound, if I had known upfront. I don't think I would have went on the blind date.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Jay, how many dates you been on with this girl?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yeah, you should be really pissed at your friends. My god, they set you up with a really nice girl who is a VIRGIN. The nerve.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But what are you going to do if this girl's cousin is friends with the wife of a SJ member?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Run, Jay, run.

Draft saved Draft deleted