1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life long grudges or I would still kick his ass.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Sep 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is a guy I grew up with who was kind of an asshole back then. Hell of a baseball player. Major league asshole.

We're Facebook friends now, have shared a beer, played in a fantasy baseball league together, interact with each other's posts about baseball all the time. He still gives me shit about hitting two home runs off me when we were 11.

He grew up. We share common interests.

Plus, if you come from the same town, played Little League together, that's a pretty deep shared experience.

Who cares what the dynamic was when we were 15?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

For a long damn time I carried a grudge involving a neighborhood kid who was four years older than me. I ignored/stayed away from him even after we grew up, even though I grew three/four inches taller and could easily have taken him. I had absolutely no interest in opening that wound.

Then, he went into my (and my father's) line of work. And then, one spring, my father (ignorant of the whole thing) hired him.

A week later I fired him. That was a very, very satisfying day.

Baron Scicluna, X-Hack and YankeeFan like this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy 30+ years ago. He asked me for gas money to get home and said he would pay me back the next day. I gave him $10.

It was his last day. He had given notice and hadn't told anyone -- and apparently asked everyone for gas money that day.

It was only $10 but I'd gladly beat that fucker into next week, even 30 years later.

YankeeFan and Ace like this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was elected Valedictorian of my undergrad. A guy (who had also been nominated and lost) started a petition to have me removed as Valedictorian. (He lost again.) Years later, he became a semi-famous sports mascot dude. He called me up hoping I would write about him.

nom nom nom

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your pain, but I want to buy that man a beer. And give him $10.

YankeeFan and Fly like this.
  6. [​IMG]

7. That's totally worth an ass-beating.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I wish. Mine wore a watermelon on his head.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you find him to buy him the beer, let me know.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You keep him here.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I mentioned it in the fighting thread -- the school bully who sucker-punched me in a parking lot.

If I see him at a class reunion, it still grates on me.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Never heard of electing the valedictorian, but I digress.

I hated the San Diego Chicken (Ted Whatshisname) with a white-hot passion after he interfered with our media table at a home event. We asked him politely to stop and he just ramped it up. Furry asshole. Same problem with the Cardinal at Illinois State. Jackass kept banging on the media tables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.