1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life In The Tank

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 7, 2008.

1. http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/01/07/why-does-the-media-love-mccain.aspx

read this, and tell me why all these political reporters shouldn't be fired on the spot.
    This kind of thing would get you canned if you were covering prep football in Texas, but the people covering the most important election in the past 50 years get to act like this?
    Very, very weird.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not trying to be difficult, but what exactly are they doing wrong? The post states that the media loves McCain (and this may be true), but it doesn't give any examples of anyone giving him a free pass on anything relative to the way they might treat other candidates. Is there anything tangible in that post backing up something that should have people getting fired?

The guy gives them unfettered access. They sit around and ask him questions. What are they supposed to do? The fact that McCain is personable and is more fun to be around, than say, HRC, is just a fact. Reporters are human. The fact that the prefer his personality and unfettered access to him to an overly managed robot candidate is only natural. Is it affecting coverage? If it is, that post didn't give any tangible examples of how it is.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I did love this part. They should give the citizen a medal.

However, to F-B's point, a beat writer would not say he loves Coach A because he is always accessible whereas Coach B is hard to get. You'd get ripped to shreds -- and rightly so -- by fans. The implication is that you favor him and his team over the others.

4. First off, Novak should have been fired a long time ago.

Second, I don't see any problems other than the reporters standing in front of people. That's definitely wrong.

But a bunch of media guys talking amongst each other - which is how this read - about which race they would like to cover the most isn't a huge deal to me. A lot of it is just regular whining, like on here.

I would say most aren't rooting for a candidate - they're more than likely rooting for the story. Just like the sports guys do. You're not giving anyone preferential treatment.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But the problem is, the media can influence the final score of an election by what they report and how they choose to report it. Sports reporters aren't throwing passes or hitting home runs. Sports reporters can report final scores, and analyze how the two teams will do the next time they will play, but the two teams are the ones competing.

Political media can influence voters very easily. Why do you think many dictatorships have state-run media?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I didn't see where any of them said that - the blogger said that they do, which I'm sure happens in sports too. Only natural.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Do you forget all the gnashing of teeth over Saban and his media control tactics?

8. Excellent points.

This isn't good. Usually the Dems benefit from this sort of thing, but it's just as bad the other way, too.

9. So they don't report the bad things the dictators do.

Do you really think that's what's happening here? Certainly McCain isn't putting a gun to the reporters heads. You really think reporters aren't digging up McCain's skeletons because he lets them ride on his bus and answers his questions? No.

There are benefits to being accessible, obviously. That's why he's doing it and that's why the other campaigns are making a mistake by not doing it. You get better stories when you give better information. That's not in and of itself an indication of bias.

Draft saved Draft deleted