1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life in a tiny NY apartment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michelle Hiskey, May 2, 2011.

1. Two reasons for posting this link:

1. photos/ideas if you are into small space design (by choice or necessity)

2. the 460 square feet in Brooklyn is my cousin's home, for which i am immensely proud.

http://community.apartmenttherapy.com/contests/smallcool/2011

thanks for taking a look.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The GF makes me keep all of my stuff in my little home office.
    So we have this big house, of which I can use a single 10x13 room.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I liked this concept better when the Dream Academy did it.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

There is a link on youtube of a woman who lives in a 90 square foot loft in Manhattan. It is basically a closet with a bed that you have to climb a ladder to climb into. But the woman is a writer and is near Central Park and a bunch of other amenities.

Me? I would rather cut down on the cost of living and move to Brooklyn (obviously).

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My apartment isn't that small, but I have had to be creative with space.

One approach a lot of people I know use, is to build up (shelving, book cases, etc), especially if you have nice 10 foot ceilings. It can be really effective and in effect double the space of an apartment -- I have seen people build up in really creative ways and I think Apartment Therapy probably showcases some cool things people have done (I spent a lot of time on that site when I was decorating my place). I didn't opt for building up after I did a complete renovation a few years ago, though, b/c I find that can get cluttered and I wanted to simplify my life and keep things as clean and open as possible. The one exception was my book cases which fit into an alcove and go ceiling to floor. They weren't custom or built in. I just happened to find a book case at Room and Board that fit the space perfectly and was decent quality.

I think a few keys for me were:

1) Make VERY effective use of closet space to get as much in there and hidden as possible. I spent almost as time designing my closets as I did my kitchen (which thankfully is big for a kitchen in an apartment this size).

2) I spent a lot of time looking for just the right furniture -- not just to suit my tastes, but more importamtly that would fit the place. So much furniture you see in various stores isn't made for, or suitable for, a small apartment. It might be too wide or have arms that are extra wide and curl over. Things like that. I ultimately did very square, modern furniture (without a lot of flourishes, because they end up taking useful space), and bought from a variety of places, including Crate and Barrel and Room & Board (Which were the two stores in my price range that had decent enough quality (real wood/natural steel, etc. and seemed to design furniture for urban use. On a tighter budget, IKEA would be the place to look, obviously). Among the furniture were two ottoman cubes instead of a coffee table that goes between a couch and a swivel comfy chair. You can stick your feet up on the cubes, but they also have wheels if you want to move them out of the way, the tops can be flipped over to expose table tops on the other sides (if you want the coffee table you sacrificed) and there is storage inside too. Try to find things like that. They are perfect for places like this. I got those at Crate and Barrel.

3) Don't know if this is an issue, but even before I bought furniture (for my empty place -- starting from scratch), I ran out all excited and bought a big screen TV. To save space, I mounted it on the wall and put a wall-mounted unit beneath it that hides all the wires, and has glass shelves coming right from the wall. No TV unit or console was a big space saver. Do things like that, if possible.

4) Along those lines, I have a desk and big desk chair in my apartment, but I sacrificed a table (I did extend a counter top table along a wall in the kitchen and have stools underneath, but it's not the same as having a table). What I did do was find a double drop leaf wood table with wheels, that is pretty narrow when you drop the leafs. I can wheel it out and open it in an empty space I left in my living room when we want to use it, or I can keep it stored in the closet.

Dunno if that will help at all, but they are some things that immediately came to mind.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Levels, Jerry. Levels.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen this type of thing go wrong before. It is NOT awesome.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

An apartment vs. a northern town? Even a small town isn't as small as a NY apartment ... :)

-----

I might like an apartment that small ... except I'd prefer to have my own laundry facilities. Could hang the bikes like Seinfeld. If parking isn't an issue, count me in ... and find neighbors who will tolerate lots of music and the occasional film with plenty of sound.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was referring to the thread title.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sonofabitch. I was coming here to make that comment.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How about a couple living in 175 square feet?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/cozy_crazy_couple_makes_tight_studio_R15ToNFTaJE3c17zkw4efP/0

Makes me feel a little guilty that I've got a 500 square foot workshop/man room in my backyard.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god. $150K. I can get a 5 BR/3.5 BA in the Atlanta suburbs for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted