1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Life after journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inkfingers, Jun 19, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not nuts. It's what I do. Walked away from a major metro to move to a new state with my wife, she had the real job and a baby on the way. My plan was to try freelancing, and three years later it's turned out fine.

I can't see the demand for freelancers going down anytime soon. The local major metro where I live now is using freelance copy more and more, and not just on page 7 of the lifestyle section writing about gardening. I mean section-front centerpieces. I think that's sad and destructive for the paper, but the writers aren't complaining.

My wife works at a regional magazine and is always lamenting the lack of good writers. If you're good and (equally important) have good story ideas, you can get a steady stream of work in that world.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My paper uses a freelancer as its primary writer for its Money section. Gets around having to pay someone benefits. Not saying it's a good idea. Am saying it's one of those realities.

3. lono

lono Active Member

As options go, it beats being an unemployed journalist.

4. The_Bunk

The_Bunk New Member

I'm a long time lurker, but making my second post because lately I'm finding I wake up and talk myself into living the dream I've wanted my entire life. I'm a newbie in every sense of the word, someone who has less than five years as a sports writer under my belt. But, I'll never forget that day when I covered my first basketball game as a college intern, and for the first time in my life I realized I could be good at something. I loved the thrill of the deadline, and eventually, the rush of the feeling of a job well done. I was hooked.
    With that being said, four years later, I'm studying for my teacher's certification exam in the hopes I'll no longer be a ghost in the lives of the people I love the most. I've realized I can't give my all to a job that won't pretend to give me the same courtesy. My hope is that I'll remain around people and eventually, have the ability to watch a game as a fan rather than a professional who is only worried about making deadline.
    Maybe I wasn't cut out for the business in the first place, but I've come to believe that the thrill of a job well done will probably pale in comparison to not worrying if I have enough vacation time to watch my youngest brother get married.

5. captzulu

captzulu Member

You don't waltz into an agency and expect to have a job handed to you. You search long and hard, identify job openings that your skills and experience would translate well over to, send out a bunch of applications, and have a few of those turn into interviews and potentially job offers. Don't bother selling your "sports" experience; instead, sell your "writing" experience, your knowledge of how the media works, your comfort level with tight deadlines.

I wrote the following on a previous thread about the same topic:

The key is to find a position where they are looking for someone with strong writing skills first and foremost, and PR experience second. Yes, that might mean having to take a step down in the career ladder to get out of this field, but considering how crappy journalism pays, you may very well take a step "down" in another field and still make more than in newspapers.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pay cut?
    Uh, no.
    But don't take my word for it. I'm just a bullshit dispenser.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

It requires additional schooling, but there are a ton of ex-journos that have moved into education, myself included.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

C'mon, M1, don't sell yourself short. You're an excellent bullshit dispenser.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The best. And a well-paid one at that.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my, don't you sound bitter about something. but just for clarification, i started in sports and worked my way to managing editor of a small daily. the skills that i hope will transfer are solid writing in all areas, management, photography, page design, etc.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

It works if:
    You live in a large metro area where PR ops abound; or if you are married, is your spouse willing to move? I know people who have gotten out of the business, tried working in entry level banking or the grocery store in middletown America and became miserable, leading to a divorce. I really feel for the middle-age people out there who are searching anywhere...they have a great deal of experience and let's face it, are discriminated against because of their age.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Like anything else, life is what you make of it.

Some people will be miserable, some people will be more thrilled than they could have imagined. Some people will find a better opportunity than they had before, some people will regret it the moment they leave the old one behind.

There are no guarantees. And there are no instruction manuals for success.

Find something that works for you, and don't look back.

Draft saved Draft deleted