1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lies, damn lies and politics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Dec 12, 2015.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It was a rhetorical statement, not a challenge issued by a DJ giving away concert tickets.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Honest question:

Are you talking about Trump or Old_Tony?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm having some big fun on FB with some Dump dupes who are pants-pissing that poor Donald is being "treated unfairly" and "with no respect."

The daughterfucking stuff sends them straight into orbit. Dear lord, they never heard such awful stuff. How dare anyone treat Donald with such contempt?

Open season, dopes. Get used to it. Poor prissy-boy finding it too warm in the kitchen?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"That’s not to say that fact-checking is a cure-all. Partisan audiences will savage fact-checks that contradict their views, and that’s true of both the right and the left."

Point - Holan.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As both the original article and a handful of posts here prove, our political discourse has been shoved almost completely by one side of the aisle into the post-fact stage. Much like Germany was in the early 1930s.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, it's inexcusable that facts no longer matter to the left.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't think so. His demonization of Mexicans and Muslims will lead him to detention camps for them if elected. Then he'll Declare them invaders to whom civilian laws don't apply and have them sentenced to death as hostile forces. Those that support them will be traitors and interred as well. He is an insecure power hungry lunatic which will lead to unspeakable horrors. It's more probable than improbable.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

John Dickerson on the Slate podcast this weekend made a good point.

Why doesn't the media and especially his fellow GOP candidates treat Trump's proposals as legit, then hold him accountable for explaining how exactly does he go about deporting millions of illegal aliens? How does he plan to manifest his proposal? Then move on to his ban-all-Muslims plan. How does he plan to deal with the blowback from the Middle East on this? How does he plan to overcome an evitible Supreme Court challenge?

Dickerson's main point was that Trump should be expected to pay the piper, and not just be either pooh-poohed by his fellow candidates and the media -- or belittled.

9. Dick Whitman

Because, as someone here pointed out, the tacit acknowledgement would be that if they did work, then Trump's various plans are morally acceptable.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, the latter. He's entitled to his opinion. He's shown no willingness to handle the responsibility of debate. It's strange to me that we'd take any time trying to give him something he clearly doesn't want.

11. Dick Whitman

I hear you. It's pointless to engage him. I like the version of Tony that talks about sports here. I don't think he's trolling, though, on politics. I have little doubt that he's earnest. He simply hates liberals, has a caricature of them in mind crystallized from years of garbage-in media consumption, and truly thinks that his posts on politics amount to spiking the football. I think he truly believes he is engaging - and winning.

BDC99 likes this.
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I have no intention of getting into this pissing match. But I would like to point out that the brown shirts were beating up people in the streets of Germany long before Hitler became chancellor. But because it was Communists they were beating up, the center-right parties didn't care. Point is, no one in Germany should have had any illusions about what Hitler would do once he gained power.

Draft saved Draft deleted