1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lie To Me" with Tim Roth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jan 29, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've only seen the pilot, but I love it. I'm partial to Roth anyway, but I find this simply intriguing. I don't know if any of the things they say specifically about facial expressions is the truth, but I'm definitely watching people more closely when I speak with them.

Anyone else watching?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it, but it looks pretty good.

I find it interesting that there's a show called "Lie to Me" on Fox and one called "Trust Me" on TNT. :D

3. imjustagirl

And I Tivo both. :D

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Further proof that men can never know what women want. ;)

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked the first episode. It's a little too similar to The Mentalist.

6. imjustagirl

Yeah, I never watched the Mentalist (is that the one with Simon Baker?) I like this one because it ties in examples from the past.

Just watched the intro to the second ep. A guy said something, then crossed his arms and took a step back. Roth fingered him as lying by retreating. Then they showed Nixon do the same thing after he said "I am not a crook." :D

Last ep, his partner said a woman was lying because when she would talk about the victim, she stopped using contractions and referred to her as "that woman" and Roth said "Like 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky?'"

Awesome.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Crossthreading with the Colbert thread: "Ringo"

8. imjustagirl

Yeah, that's kind of who he'll always be. But I like him anyway. :D

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I don't like "The Mentalist." That show is rather boring. Psych does the same thing but is much funnier in its execution.

I have liked "Lie To Me." It is very interesting. I also wonder about the factual nature of the analysis.

10. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Didn't watch Lie To Me and don't plan to - even though I've like Roth since Reservoir Dogs. I did, however, TIVO Trust Me and I liked it a lot. Those two guys play off each other rather well.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This article ran alongside the review of the first episode in the New York Times.

The show is based on the research of psychologist Paul Ekman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/arts/television/21carter.html?_r=1&ref=television

Over all the show is doing a good job, Dr. Ekman said: “Of the 18 things they use in the pilot, only 2 are not accurate.” Despite his minor criticisms, Dr. Ekman is a strong backer of the series. He also acknowledged that “Lie to Me” was sure to give exposure to his research. “I’ve written 15 books,” Dr. Ekman said. “This show will reach more people in one episode than I have in all 15 books.”

12. imjustagirl

awesome story, JR. Thanks for the link. And they did mention "It's not just knowing if someone is lying, it's knowing why" in the pilot.

Draft saved Draft deleted