1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lidstrom to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mjslovin91, May 30, 2012.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was rolling with the best since Orr, but absolutely Harvey should be in the same breath as Lidstrom and these other guys.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Piss on Eddie Shore.

People are slipping around here.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I actually sensed that afterward but left my post alone in case my first thought had been correct. Which, of course, it hadn't been. :D

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

No. Bourque played 22 seasons in the NHL. Chris Chelios played parts of 26 despite losing one year to the lockout. No defenceman played in more regular season games, and no one at any position saw more playoff action.

Hell, Chelios' first and last Cup victories came 22 years apart. He saw more postseasons than Bourque saw regular seasons.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Hmm, did not realize Pippen played that long.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Also, if you want to talk longevity of peak, while Bourque won his four Norris trophies in a span of five years, Chelios won his three in a span of eight years, one of which split Bourque's string down the middle, and was a finalist most years over those eight years when he didn't win, and I believe a few other times as well.

I still give the edge to Bourque, but I also don't think it is unreasonable to compare their peak years.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Bourque was a key guy at 39 and could have played well into his 40s - he just chose not to. Chelios played much longer but really - how valuable was he for the last few seasons he was in the league? I seem to remember a lof of healthy scratches.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would take Bourque in a heartbeat over Chelios.

Draft saved Draft deleted